• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Elevation Bonus in 4E?

jbear

First Post
The nice thing about adding an attack bonus to elevated terrain is that the PCs will go out of their way to reach those advantageous positions.

That is the kind of motivation that makes combat dynamic. Otherwise you run into the situation where you have a massive room full of interesting but not advantageous terrain which the PCs have burst into, but tactically it is more sound for them to fight from the doorway, the fighter and the paladin out front blocking things up, with the bow ranger, the cleric and the sorceror tucked in safely behind them. Party Composition of course will alter this possibility, but I think you get what I mean.

Any motivation be it advantageous or be it due to danger avoidance are great elements to build into any encounter, to get PCs and monsters alike moving around that area, making the battle more cinematic and exciting.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Side note: if I remember correctly, the encounters where they included the bits on attacking from higher ground gave you a +2, not combat advantage. A minor quibble, but one with different implications.

One example from our own ENWorld published adventure path:

Scouring of Gate Pass Page 53 said:

The highwaymen use their blademark and get everyone into range for an swirling slash attack. They will jump on the shelves to gain combat advantage

That module alone has three separate examples of CA from higher ground. I know this is not WotC material, but I think the CA phrase was used in a WotC adventure as well.

Nullzone

Explorer
Since nobody has mentioned it, it's worth noting that charging itself gives you a +1, of which bull rush is a possible outcome. The bull rush act or effect doesn't grant anything except the one square push though.

pclaw8

First Post
And this right here is why I don't particularly like ad hoc DM assigned bonuses. I would argue if you are trying to attack a goblin while standing on a table, you have no bonus. Your already small target is even further away from you now, especially if you have a short reach weapon like a dagger. If you are attacking a troll or giant while standing on a table, I might grant a +2 bonus. You are closer to his vulnerable areas like the throat.

I'm sure Lost Soul had a completely valid reasoning in his head when he assigned those bonuses but it doesn't line up with the image in my head. It's best to spell out terrain related bonuses and penalties before an encounter, and make sure they aren't terribly conditional.

To add to your point, let's say I'm on the floor and a goblin jumps onto the table. He can probably hit me better than when he was on the floor, but now I can also hit him a lot easier, being on lower elevation...

I try to just stick with "The DM's Best Friend" instead of adding house rules.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk Pro

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads