Elf Archetype

Augoeides

First Post
Would you mind posting an Elven or Half-Elven, Single-Class, 9th level A.) Fey Blade-Pact Warlock, B.) Eldritch Knight C.) Oath of the Ancients Paladin, please?

I'd like to see how they compare to one another. I want a Warrior effective in melee and range preferably using a long sword or rapier. The concept is a Knight of Summer or Winter as per Dresden, but in a fantasy world. He represents the best of the elven archetype. As bow and sword are racial weapons, if you give him Eldritch Blast, it will take the form of an energy bow. Being fey, his alignment is CG and abilities which tie into this would be a bonus.

mellored

Legend
I'm not posting 3 characters.... but...

Paladins don't have any good ranged attacks, so I don't see that as a good choice. You can still multi-attack, but you have no add-ons.

Straight pact-blade doesn't have good armor, and can't switch weapons easy, and eldrich blast will split Dex and Cha.

Which leaves eldrich knight who can swap as needed. Possibly high elf to get the booming blade cantrip, which works great with war-magic.

I'd offer up a wood elf ranger as a possibility as well. Bow, rapier, and nature spells all together.

I go for it.

High elf.

Str 13
Dex 14+2
Con 12
Int 15+1
Wis 10
Cha 8

He is haughty and overly confident some times.

Background is noble.
Skills as you chose.

Racial cantrip is greenflame blade. He uses a rapier one handed and duelist style. A shield is only equipped when he needs to hold the line for his companions. Otherwise he uses a bow until the enemy closes too much.

3rd level is eldritch knight. Cantrips as you please. Booming blade may prove useful. Maybe a ranged cantrip like ray of frost.
First level spell is shield of course and maybe thunderwave.
At 4 and 6 increase dexterity. Learn mage armor if you need more AC. Mirror image may prove useful for defense.
The last ability score increase can either be medium armor mastery to get better AC or magic initiage for an extras spell slot to cast mage armor for the same effect. Spell sniper or sharp shoote can be good. Or +2 int or con, depending on what spells you use and if you need more hp. Even +2 str may prove useful if you happen to get magical plate armor.
If you don't start at level 9 it is best only to make a rough plan. Some grat high level combis suck during build up and often the characters need to fulfil different roles than originally planned depending on how actual play works out.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Warlock is pretty strait forward, although I'd consider switching to tome pact and using shillelagh with a staff and the new UA staff feat. Either way, half-elf, take the mage armor invocation, maybe the one that gives false life, as well, and use the SCAG weapon attack cantrips for melee, EB for ranged, boost cha, con, and dex.
Your feat and spell and invocation options are pretty wide open, I'd use them to fill out the secondary aspects of the character.

ccs

41st lv DM
Would you mind posting an Elven or Half-Elven, Single-Class, 9th level A.) Fey Blade-Pact Warlock, B.) Eldritch Knight C.) Oath of the Ancients Paladin, please?

I'd like to see how they compare to one another. I want a Warrior effective in melee and range preferably using a long sword or rapier. The concept is a Knight of Summer or Winter as per Dresden, but in a fantasy world. He represents the best of the elven archetype. As bow and sword are racial weapons, if you give him Eldritch Blast, it will take the form of an energy bow. Being fey, his alignment is CG and abilities which tie into this would be a bonus.

There are any # of ways to make/play an effective, enjoyable, character....

dc_in_sf

Villager
Warlock is pretty strait forward, although I'd consider switching to tome pact and using shillelagh with a staff and the new UA staff feat. Either way, half-elf, take the mage armor invocation, maybe the one that gives false life, as well, and use the SCAG weapon attack cantrips for melee, EB for ranged, boost cha, con, and dex.
Your feat and spell and invocation options are pretty wide open, I'd use them to fill out the secondary aspects of the character.

Just curious, what staff feat are you referring to? There is a spear feat in a recent UA but not seeing any staff feats

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just curious, what staff feat are you referring to? There is a spear feat in a recent UA but not seeing any staff feats
Don't have it one my phone, and was mixing up the spear feat with a "light pole arm" feat I worked out with a friend that was very similar, and made staves and spears capable of reach with a bonus action, made glaives versatile, and made all 3 finesse. It had no change to damage die, though, and didn't have the set for a charge part.

dc_in_sf

Villager
Don't have it one my phone, and was mixing up the spear feat with a "light pole arm" feat I worked out with a friend that was very similar, and made staves and spears capable of reach with a bonus action, made glaives versatile, and made all 3 finesse. It had no change to damage die, though, and didn't have the set for a charge part.

Ah pity. That light pole arm feat you describe would indeed be perfect for a blade pact warlock :)

Georlik

First Post
I'd go for something like this in order to build a "true bladesinger":
15,14,13,14,10,10 High Elf with Spy Background (or a custom one with Stealth and Persuasion proficiency).
Obviously you have to "waste" your first ASI on leveling Str and Con, but other than that it is a very versatile build. I would suggest going for Defensive Fighting Style (to reflect that versatility) and a Breastplate. Even better if you manage to get your hands on that Moonblade sword.

For the "Praise the Sun" Half-Elf I'd suggest:
16,10,14,10,10,16 Half-Elf with Hermit background.
Str and Dex are interchangable actually - it all depends on your preference on stealth vs. heavy weapons.
Take a racial Booming Blade cantrip and a Warcaster as your first feat of choice - you are set.

You may actually play as a ranged paladin of the ancients (with Ensnaring Strike and Branding Smite both available to you). It would not be as optimized as a ranger, but still a solid choice.

In both cases your specialization highly relies on your spells of choice.

Remove ads