• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Elf Stranded on the Warden: A Short Gary Gygax Story

Vanveen

Explorer
This is awesome.
So was there no way to get off the Warden/get back to Erelhei-Cinlu? Was it planned that way, was there an exit your PCs didn't find, or did you the players just move on from that particular game instance after a while?

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Haha! I'll have to remember that trick where the DM becomes a player and an unsuspecting player becomes the DM :)

I've done that in a campaign, but it was pre-arranged. My friend, Jeremy, was DMing a high level game where the players had decided they had to planar shift from Mysterra (sp?) to Greyhawk to find the McGuffin. I had been DMing a different game in Greyhawk at the time. When they teleported Jeremy and I swapped places. He took over my character and I sat behind the DMs screen.

Jeremy ran rather a heroic game where characters always eventually won out. I ran a brutal game where death stalked behind every corner. The players were horrified that suddenly their favourite characters were at real risk of death. They didn't die but it was a close thing. The immediate increase in tension was fantastic and the players loved (and hated) every moment.

I'm still a brutal DM - and all my dice are rolled out in the open. The death count in my current campaign that has been running for a year is 4 deaths and one almost TPK (it hinged on one dice roll).

Remove ads