• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ELH Feat Query - Keen Strike

If you had the epic Keen Strike feat, by the description your unarmed attacks are considered slashing attacks that crit on 19-20. Since you have to have Improved Crit on your UA Strike, shouldn't you UA crit on 18-20? (crit only on 20 normally...then 19-20 w/ Improved Crit, then Keen making it 18-20). r would you crit on 17-20? (keen strike making your base UA crit range 19-20, then Imp Crit making it 17-20).

Your insights please?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I think that it's supposed to work like a keen weapon you have improved critical with: both double your threat range, and tow doubles are a triple, so 18-20.

Bloodstone

First Post
IMO the threat range should be 17-20.

Keen Strike makes your unarmed strike change to Slashing damage and threaten on a 19-20.

Improved Crit (Unarmed Strike) would then double that to 17-20.

I think...

novyet

First Post
The threat range would be 18-20, keen strike and improved critical improve only the original threat range of 20, each feat (in this case) improves the range by 1.

Last edited:

I don't know if it's that clear. You could read Keen Strike as saying something to the effect of "your unarmed strike becomes sharp, like a sword." This would change the base threat range to 19-20/x2, and the Improved Critical version to 17-20/x2. But you could also read Keen Strike as saying something to the effect of "your unarmed strike delivers slashing damage and benefits from something like a constant keen edge spell," which makes the 18-20/x2 (with Improved Critical) more plausible. Personally, I favor the latter -- Keen Strike isn't all that powerful in itself, but the vorpal version it's a prerequisite for certainly is, which gives us a good balance reason to prefer smaller threat range for unarmed attacks.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Keen Strike makes your anarmed strike a slashing keen weapon. So the same rules apply here as with a slashing keen longsword (or any other weapon) you have improved critical with apply: the base threat range doesn't change, and the effective range is tripled (two doublings).

mkletch

First Post
Two doubles are a triple. If you have Keen Strike and Improved Critical, that triples the threat range, from 20, to 18-20.

Imagine if you did have true doubling. A keen rapier with improved critical would have a threat range of 8-20! That would be sick.

Check the appendix of the PHB. It should be the section right after rounding fractions. In fact, the example may be exactly this.

-Fletch!

Remove ads