• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ELH - Ideas on how others have advanced their PCs to epic.

My campaign is heading towards epic caliber. I was hoping a few of you would share on what 'weird and unusual' test/quest you've put your PCs through to allow them to advance to epic.

Thanks

SylverFlame

First Post
DM I am with for the xmas break made us fight a red dragon followed by a blue. Not fun, but nice experience.

EDIT: They weren't one after the other. We had a day of game time before all heck broke lose.

Last edited:

-Warlord-

First Post
I started a new campaign at 1st level a few weeks back with the intent of letting it advance all the way up to epic.

I figure it's the only way not to have to deal with all the pitfalls of high level play at once. Scrying, teleporting and ressurections make give a highlevel adventure a whole different feel. These have to be prepared for.

And it gives me the opportunity to introduce epic level monsters and characters without having them suddenly appear at level 20. My previous campaigns were all quite low-magic, with the king's court wizard being one of the few 20th level characters. But in epic levels, I need a whole lot of 20th level wizards around.
So now I've introduced stories from the battlefront about wizards casting meteor swarms and fingers of death.
Also I foreshaded a 5000 year old dragon, advanced with the rules in the Epic Level Handbook. This thing is a CR 85, and will make sure the players won't assume they're the top of the foodchain for a LONG time.

Seule

Explorer
I used the Razing of Redshore as the introduction to Epic levels. It's a module in Dungeon magazine from when the ELH first came out, specifically tailored for that. With a little fixing up to fit my world, it was great.
The game I'm in didn't have a specific division before Epic levels, but we did do the mod from the ELH at about 18th level. It was nasty.

--Seule

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads