• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eliminating Eastern Flavor From D&D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorPain

First Post
A better example might be "Tar Baby". It has been used as a slur quite often. However, it is also descriptive of something that you touch and you now can't get off, because you're stuck to it.

So politicians/radio disk jockies have gotten in trouble for using the term correctly, even though it is still associated with a racial epithet.

But both are deemed offensive when used to refer to a person, because it is very difficult to distinguish how it is being used. Both are supposed to be acceptable when used to refer to objects or concepts. However, I think tar baby is a word that is becoming more charged, and it is increasingly viewed as offensive even when used to describe a thing and not a person. Most slurs have "correct" uses as well. But that doesn't make them any less offensive when used to describe people.

ProfessorPain

First Post
A better example might be "Tar Baby". It has been used as a slur quite often. However, it is also descriptive of something that you touch and you now can't get off, because you're stuck to it.

So politicians/radio disk jockies have gotten in trouble for using the term correctly, even though it is still associated with a racial epithet.

But both are deemed offensive when used to refer to a person, because it is very difficult to distinguish how it is being used. Both are supposed to be acceptable when used to refer to objects or concepts. However, I think tar baby is a word that is becoming more charged, and it is increasingly viewed as offensive even when used to describe a thing and not a person. Most slurs have "correct" uses as well. But that doesn't make them any less offensive when used to describe people. Take Slope. It can describe a hill, but it is highly offensive if used to describe an asian person.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
because of the Civil War, a.k.a. the "War of Northern Agression," and is most often used in that context by white Southerners.
And up here we call it "the war to end slavery".
Curious. I’m a Southerner (all my 41 years), and I have never heard anyone, anywhere, in regular conversation, refer to that particular war as anything other than the “Civil War”. Even my grandmother, whose father was a Confederate soldier never referred to it as anything other than the Civil War. (Not that she mentioned it very often.)

I’ve actually had someone (from California) tell me, directly, that they knew Southern schools taught it as the War of Northern Aggression, and teachers insinuated that the South won. I have never seen or heard this.

Bullgrit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"Tar Baby"

That term has become so charged that even if used properly, it perforce carries negative racial overtones with it...ironically, becoming a tar baby in and of itself.

I have never heard anyone, anywhere, in regular conversation, refer to that particular war as anything other than the “Civil War”.

IME, the people most likely to use the term "War of Northern Aggression" are those who either lost a lot of wealth because of it (IOW, they used to own a plantation) or those who are, at some level, racists.

Its not going to be taught in the schools because the schools are integrated.

rgard

Adventurer
I haven't read through the six pages of responses so sorry if this has already been suggested:

Pick yourself up a 3pp source book that focuses on a specific European campaign setting. For example:

DriveThruRPG.com - Avalanche Press - Viking Age

or

Avalanche Press

or

http://www.enworld.org/forum/publishers-press-releases/124879-vikings-d20.html

or

RPGnet d20: Review of Legends of Excalibur

or

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Relics-Rituals-Excalibur-Sorcery-Studio/dp/1588469565]Amazon.com: Relics & Rituals Excalibur (Sword and Sorcery Studio): Evan Jamieson, Aaron Rosenberg, Christina Stiles: Books[/ame]

Thanks,
Rich

rgard

Adventurer
Well, I can't speak for the people from the UK or the northern parts of the US, but as a Southerner, I can say the reason "Yank" is a slur down here is because of the Civil War, a.k.a. the "War of Northern Agression," and is most often used in that context by white Southerners.

Living in Virginia I've found that "War of Northern Aggression" is a bit of an anachronism used to gently rib transplanted yankees. This is akin to Brits referring to Americans as Colonials.

All the reminds me of...

The saying, "I was 18 before I knew Damn Yankee was two words."

When I worked in the UK I translated this to, "I was over here 6 months before I figured out Scottish Git was two words."

My Scots friends took it as a good natured joke.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
IME, the people most likely to use the term "War of Northern Aggression" are those who either lost a lot of wealth because of it (IOW, they used to own a plantation)
Such a person hasn't been alive for nearly a hundred years. And they were rare compared to the general populace even in the 19th century.

or those who are, at some level, racists.
How does the term "War of Northern Aggression" relate to race or racism? I mean, it was white "aggressors" on white "defenders".

Bullgrit

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Well, I can't speak for the people from the UK or the northern parts of the US, but as a Southerner, I can say the reason "Yank" is a slur down here is because of the Civil War, a.k.a. the "War of Northern Agression," and is most often used in that context by white Southerners.

As a Westerner, I would not care to be called a Yank either.

Brennin Magalus

First Post
I’ve actually had someone (from California) tell me, directly, that they knew Southern schools taught it as the War of Northern Aggression, and teachers insinuated that the South won. I have never seen or heard this.

Just to reassure you, not all Californians are that dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads