• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Elven Accuracy

SubDude

Explorer
I was a little surprised to see Elven Accuracy go down so quickly in the Survivor thread.

Is there some particular reason that this racial feat is not worthy or should be shunned? I'm considering using it, but is it broken? Uninspired? OP? What is the reason for its lack of popularity, in the survivor thread in particular?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I wouldn't say it was quick. I don't hate it but then I also don't think super advantage is a great or inspired mechanic. It's also not really character defining. Let's say a player takes the feat, what if they don't end up getting advantage very often. It might only come up when they use their inspiration.

There are only really 2 I would want to go out before it.

I don't like Bountiful Luck so I would want that to go early. Squat Nimbleness is both not specific to a race and lackluster.

I don't care for Dragonborn or Tieflings so I would want Fear and Constitution to go, but then I recognize that they are well designed.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Popular things often gather backlash. Whenever anything is good at killing, it generates more backlash than normal.

Additionally, survivor threads are purposely weighted in such a way that it's more important to have less negative responses than it is to have a bunch of positive ones. Which means they actually measure infamy.

I down voted it at every opportunity. I hate it. It's a boring combat-related feat that, like Great Weapon Master, which adds a situational bonus to accuracy instead of something interesting like Tavern Brawler or Shield Master.

CTurbo

Explorer
I think it's a little strong strong mechanically. Definitely not "interesting" or "exciting" though.

I imagine an Elf GWM Barbarian has never been more popular.

Bardbarian

First Post
I think it's a little strong strong mechanically. Definitely not "interesting" or "exciting" though.

I imagine an Elf GWM Barbarian has never been more popular.

Elven Accuracy can't be used with Str attacks. There are ways to make it useable with GWM but not by default.

thethain

First Post
I think it was downvoted because it was potentially too strong, and completely uninteresting. It is a power bonus on a feat that also allows +1 ability point.

Also realistically, it doesn't do much for builds that don't care about crit a lot. If you already have advantage, you are probably going to hit. Super advantage just changes that math a bit.

LapBandit

First Post
Imagine an Elven rogue who hides each round with this feat. If they are hidden from the foe they are attacking (likely with Expertise in Stealth), triple advantaged ranged attack. Now imagine they have Sharpshooter. So at level 4, a rogue with 16 dex is going to roll a d20 three times at +6 to hit. Average enemy AC at CR 4 is 14, so they are very likely to hit and better than 1/7 chance to crit. So, using a short bow from range with super advantage every round for 3d6 + 3, and every 6.33 times (on average) 6d6 + 3. So yeah, triple advantage is overpowered as is anything that grants it. The only other feat that provides this is Lucky and it is limited to 3 times a day.

Remove ads