• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elven Thinblade

Belbarid

First Post
This has probably come up before. If so, I can't find it, though.

A Thinblade is an Exotic Weapon, thus needing a Feat to use properly, but has the same threat range and negligibly more damage than a Rapier. What's the payoff for spending a feat? What am I missing?

glass

(he, him)
Wolf72 said:
it's a medium sized weapon that's finessable ... (that's all I got)

You mean a non-light weapon, right? Any weapon can be medium sized (in fact, it's the default).

In answer to the original question, the extra point of damage per hit on average is it, AFAIK.

glass.

reveal

Adventurer
Belbarid said:
This has probably come up before. If so, I can't find it, though.

A Thinblade is an Exotic Weapon, thus needing a Feat to use properly, but has the same threat range and negligibly more damage than a Rapier. What's the payoff for spending a feat? What am I missing?

I'm not going to repeat what others have said, because I agree. However, as someone who played a dual-wielding Elven Swashbuckler with a keened Elven Thinblade (crit range 15-20) and a keened Elven Lightblade (crit range 15-20), the Weapon Familiarity feat from CW (allows you to use any weapon with your race in its name as a martial weapon) came in mighty handy. :D

glass

(he, him)
Land Outcast said:
take a longsword: with a feat you add +1 to critical range and make it finessable: Elven thinblade

It does make it seem better if you start from the longsword rather than the rapier.

glass.

Belbarid

First Post
Taren Seeker said:
You can also 2 for one power attack with it. That's the main advantage over a rapier.

D'Oh... Of course.. The Thinblade isn't a light weapon, therefore it can be wielded two-handed for the 1 1/2 Str damage, and the 2-for-1 Power Attack boost.

Thanks, all, for the responses.

Remove ads