• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elven Waywatcher Prestige Class

Elrick

First Post
I'm looking for opinions on the power of this class, mostly it's a mix of abilities from other prestige classes. I was going for the classic image of an elven archer ghosting through woods sniping from the trees. I think this achieves that.

Elven Waywatcher
The elven forest of Sildanyr is protected by an elite kind of elven warrior, the Watchers of the Ways. Guardians of the elven borders, they protect the forests from incursions of orc raiding parties and encroaching human settlers. The waywatcher silently keeps watch from the boughs of the ancient trees alert and ready to respond with deadly force to all who attempt to enter without invitation. The forest is their realm, where few can challenge them. Waywatchers will usually first attempt to confuse interlopers and lead them away, however, for those who persist they may find themselves falling into deadly traps or struck by arrows from unseen assailants. On occasion waywatchers are sent on important missions that may take them beyond elven woods. These missions are always matters of great import to elven interests, such as bringing elven criminals to justice, or to recover stolen artifacts important to the elves.

Fighters, paladins, rangers, and rogues are the ones mostly likely to take this prestige class. Bards, clerics, druids, sorcerers, and wizards dedicated to the preservation of the elven nation and it’s interests may also take the class from time to time. Barbarians, and monks are rarely interested in simple guardianship of the elven borderlands.

Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
to qualify to become a waywatcher, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Elf or half-elf.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Balance 4 ranks, Climb 8 ranks, Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks.
Languages: Sylvan
Feats: Martial Weapon Proficiency (longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, or composite shortbow), Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot.

Class Skills
the waywatcher's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive(Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis).
Skill points as Each Level: 4+ Int modifier .

Waywatcher
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +0 +2 +0 Hide in Plain Sight, Codecall
2nd +2 +0 +3 +0 Ranged Sneak Attack +1d6
3rd +3 +1 +3 +1 Treetopper , Trackless Step
4th +4 +1 +4 +1 Mission Focus (+2)
5th +5 +1 +4 +1 Ranged Sneak Attack +2d6
6th +6 +2 +5 +2 Moves like the Wind
7th +7 +2 +5 +2 Ranged Threat (10ft)
8th +8 +2 +6 +2 Mission Focus (+4)
9th +9 +3 +6 +3 Ranged Sneak Attack +3d6
10th +10 +3 +7 +3 Ranged Threat (20ft)

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): While in any sort of forested terrain, a waywatcher of 1st level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Codecall: When inducted into the ranks of the waywachers, all are taught a secret code of bird calls and hand signals that allow waywatchers to communicate with each other. Should outsiders hear the calls, they are allowed an opposed Knowledge (Nature) check to determine the calls aren't natural. Waywatchers, due to their practice in this art, are granted a +2 competency bonus on this opposed check.

Ranged Sneak Attack: Like the rogues ability, a waywatcher deals extra damage with his ranged attacks when his target is denied his Dexterity bouns. The damage dealt increases to 2d6 at 5th level and 3d6 at 9th level. If a waywatcher gets a sneak attack bonus from another class the damage bonuses stack.

Treetopper (Ex): At home in the trees a waywatcher receives a +8 circumstance bonus to Climb and Balance checks while moving through trees. In addition a waywatcher takes no penalty to move at his normal rate, retains his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, and attacking creatures gain no special bonuses to attacks. This ability functions as long as the waywatcher is wearing light armor or no armor.

Trackless Step (Ex): A waywatcher leaves no trail in forested surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Mission Focus (Ex): Waywatchers operating beyond the elven woods almost always are pursuing a mission at the behest of the elven people. While directly pursing the mission goals waywatchers receive a +2 circumstance bonus to all skill checks, saving throws, attack and damage rolls. For example, Elladan, waywatcher of the Sildanyr, is charged with a mission to retrieve the remains of a sacred white deer that was killed by human poachers. He sets out in pursuit of the poachers, who are returning to their village Horshen, a two-week journey. On the way to the village, Elladan encounters a wild bear; while battling this foe he receives his bonuses. However, he stops in White Springs for some rest, and gets in a brawl. He doesn’t receive his bonuses, as he isn’t actively pursuing his mission. This bonus increase to +4 at 8th level.

Moves like the Wind (Ex): A waywatcher ignores armor check penalties on his Move Silently and Hide Checks. In addition, he no longer suffers a -5 penalty to those checks when moving at full speed. This ability functions as long as the waywatcher is wearing light armor or no armor.

Ranged Threat (Ex): If a target provokes an attack of opportunity within your Ranged Threat range, you may make an attack of opportunity with your bow against that target. This attack of opportunity counts against your normal number of attacks of opportunity in any given round.

Last edited:

monboesen

Explorer
Full BAB, 5 caster lvls, 3d6 sneak attack and nice abilities. Thats like 10 lvls of ranger, 5 levels of wizard/cleric and 5 levels of rogue.

Thats very, very powerful. Take a good look at your class and ask yourself is this comparable to 10 lvls of Ranger (the class it has most in common with). I'd say no in a heartbeat.

Without the spells, I might allow it in a game. As it is, just to much.

Elrick

First Post
Yeah, I agree the spells are too much. What about the threaten abilities with range weapons?... I'm not sure that fits with my theme.

Felikeries

First Post
how about checks using a traite table exclusively

17-19 dex +1d4(rolled at taking class)20-21 +3 22-24 +1d6 etc.
then +1 for the'missions''feats' etc every 5 levels

1/2 exp as multi-class allows archery extra's

+1 attack,+1d20 range,+2 magical arrows

- spell casting abilty ,meta,1d6 levels,dc -1 level
if weaponing multi -2 forms of skill or feat

working with more than 1 of class as party,+1 initiative,+1 damage each level class(10 at most),#spells used,or magic extra weapons -1d4,no fear or containment type spells on party at the time

Corlon

First Post
This class looks pretty cool, except I think ranged threat is a bit too powerful. When it says ranged threat range, I supposing that means however far the bow can shoot, or 30ft? Either one of these is way too powerful, as it outshines all melee weapons and not only takes away the problem with a bow not threatening, but makes it better than anything else. With combat reflexes and a high dexterity bonus(as any archer worth anything would have), the archer could fire off too many arrows to be balanced.

If the threat range is just 5 or 10 feet, then I don't think it's so much of a problem.

Cool idea anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads