[EMERALD PRESS & HORADE] The Emerald Sage for free

Nellisir

Hero
Just post it in here, or in house rules and make a link to this thread.

I'm all for standardization -- no one's yet made a argument for non-core save or BAB progression that's really impressed me -- but I think it could've been standardized "up" a little bit.

Actually, I just looked at it again, and the requirements are a bit wonky. A single-class rogue can't become a skinshifter at all (requires 3rd level arcane spells) and bards become qualified (7th) only one level before wizards and sorcerers (8th).

Changes I'd make: Req: Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells (this was going to read change self and alter self as arcane spells, but neither are bard spells); Bluff 8+ ranks, Disguise 8+ ranks, Concentration 4+ ranks, Perform 4+ ranks. Eliminate the BAB and feats requirement.

The BAB is unnecessary, and the feats don't add much. Lowering the spell requirements allows bards to access the class at 5th level.

BAB progression as bard/rogue. Good Reflex and Will saves. Add Hide, Intimidate, and Search as class skills (skinshifters are good at being unnoticed, manipulating people, and details). Skill points could be at least 4+

If they get major image, add silent image and minor image to spell list. Move polymorph self to 3rd level (their focus is shapeshifting, and the skinshifter will have at least 9 character levels by the time they can cast 3rd level spells). Add more enchantment and divination spells (ie, suggestion).

On editorial matters, "sex" should probably be "gender". There's also a reference to a presumably older or alternative name for the skinshifter that should've been changed -- I know when I read "face-dancer", I thought of something altogether different. ;-)

I still like the idea.
Cheers
Nell.

Scorpio

First Post
Very professional. Thank you Shane, for letting me contribute to the publication, and thank you Skade, for your kind words. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Remove ads