• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Empathic Link - additional info beyond PHB?

baradtgnome

First Post
Hi all, is there some good information that expounds a little more on Empathic Link (Su) for familiars beyond what is in the PHB/SRD? What I am really interested in is additional info on what is communicated via general emotional content.

Empathic Link (Su): The master has an empathic link with his familiar out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The master cannot see through the familiar’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content can be communicated.
Because of this empathic link, the master has the same connection to an item or place that his familiar does.​

I'd like to have a little more depth or feel on what the designers had in mind on this. It certainly isn't a show stopper not having it, but it would be helpful if there was something official that went into some more detail or provided examples or limits.

Or a link to a thread that already discusses this...

Thanks!

Crothian

First Post
They feel the emotions of each other. If you sent the familiar to sneak into a cave, the wizard would know if the familar felt fear. Wouldn't know what caused it to feel th fear thoiugh. Or if the familar was sent to find something, the caster could feel the familars success in finding it.

baradtgnome

First Post
Crothian said:
They feel the emotions of each other. ...

... and that is how I try and adjuciate players actions. I was just wondering if there was more some where, or where you could stretch those limits. (as players are always trying to do) :)

You make an interesting point, most players forget that their familiar feels their emotions back.

So until the character and familiar can 'speak' to each other at 5th level, the character can't send their familiar on an errand because they can't articulate what is desired? Or do most folks assume the familiar can understand the intent of the master (when they are face to face) because the familiar has a 6 int?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Crothian said:
They feel the emotions of each other.

Well, that's not clear.

The ability is called "Empathic Link", but the mechanics state that they "communicate telepathically".

"Empathy" traditionally denotes emotion-content only, but "communicate telepathically" usually means messages can be conveyed.

The limitation implied in the ability text appears to be the effects of low intelligence on comprehension, rather than a lack of 'words' in the communication.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads