• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

empowered empowered.........wand

wraith8

First Post
Im fighting in a duel with a really high level mage at least 5 levels higher than me. Im a shadowdancer with a cohort red wizard. I know hes got sr 40 so im buying a wand of caster level 41 empowered empowered empowered empowered ray of enfeeblement (3.0 so there is a save). What is its save? How do you calculate saves from wands? Is there a way to make it really really high?

Crothian

First Post
The save is 10 + spell level + minimium stat bonus for spell level. So, a 1st level spell has a DC of 11 (10 + 1 (spell level) + bonus for an 11 stat which is zero). There are optional rules in like ELH that can help this, but it really depends on what the DM allows.

Dakkareth

First Post
Well, the SR should be taken care of by the caster level, but for the save it would have to be heightened to an absurd degree to work.

(Greater/Epic) Spellfocus: School raises the DC by 2(4/6, non-cumulative) in 3e. Works only for spells you cast yourself, though. Other than that high intelligence helps.

As for a tactic ... get some spells, that reduce saving throws and SR (or simply the spell you want to be effective) and have them put on epic scrolls with uber caster level and improved heightened up to level whatever. If you're going against something with SR 40 you're at least near to epic levels, right? Anyway, after casting those from scroll you can use normal spells and other tactics.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
wraith8 said:
Im fighting in a duel with a really high level mage at least 5 levels higher than me. Im a shadowdancer with a cohort red wizard. I know hes got sr 40 so im buying a wand of caster level 41 empowered empowered empowered empowered ray of enfeeblement (3.0 so there is a save). What is its save? How do you calculate saves from wands? Is there a way to make it really really high?
Yeah, the save would be really low. Further, you cannot make a wand with that many empowered's. Those extra slots count as if they were spell levels when you make a wand, and wands only go up to 4th level. Your empowered x4 ray of enfeeblement would be the equivalent of a 9th level spell for the purpose of making the wand. The most you could get is one empowered plus one more metamagic with a +1 slot requirement.

Stalker0

Legend
Re: Re: empowered empowered.........wand

Dr. Zoom said:

Yeah, the save would be really low. Further, you cannot make a wand with that many empowered's. Those extra slots count as if they were spell levels when you make a wand, and wands only go up to 4th level. Your empowered x4 ray of enfeeblement would be the equivalent of a 9th level spell for the purpose of making the wand. The most you could get is one empowered plus one more metamagic with a +1 slot requirement.

Yeah, your going to want a staff for this one. Also, if your DM allows the 3.5 staff use, you can use your int mod on the DC when casting from a staff.

Re: Re: Re: empowered empowered.........wand

Stalker0 said:

Yeah, your going to want a staff for this one. Also, if your DM allows the 3.5 staff use, you can use your int mod on the DC when casting from a staff.

Of course, you can't stack metamagic in 3.5 :)

Pax

Banned
Banned
wraith8 said:

High again, Oskar. Yes, you can count on an SR of 40 from Eilendra, and probably from Darien; yes, the Mantle of Epic Spell Resistance is in play, though it might be in a different form than a cloak or mantle (fungibility rocks). :D No, those won't be the biggest obstacles to overcome.

Anyway, a better feat for trying to get through SR would be the metamagic feat Fortify Spell from Unapprochable East. It works somewhat like Heighten, in that you can choose any level modifier from 1, up. Every level added to the spell in this manner gives you a +2 modifier to beat SR. It also increases the caster level.

For items, it's a great feat. A Wand of Ray of Enfeeblement (Fortify+3) would count as a 4thlevel spell, so needs caster level 7. With the Fortify, that's anotehr +6, for +13 to the SR roll.

Given a target of 40 (yes, Eilendra is wearing a Mantle of Epic Spell Resistance, it seems) ... let's say a Staff. You have a maximum possible spell level of 9 to work with, so you could try a Fortify (+8), and give it a caster level of 20 (remember, you guys are nonepic, so you don't get to play with the epic stuff).

That'd be +36 to the roll to get through the SR. Of course, it's REALLY only a 1st level spell, so when it hits a Spell Turning or similar effect ... *shrug* ... :D

FOR THE BYSTANDERS: Wraith8 is in a pre-epic arena (the level averages around 16-17 there, I believe. Eilendra (my character) and Darien (not mine) are both from an Epic arena, set for 25th level.

An offhand remark to the effect that Epic arenas are governed solely by initiative, has become the basis for an inter-arena challenge: Eilendra and Darien as a team, against as many of their characters as they cared to field (their team turned out to be sixteen characters of 15th to 20th level).

Additionally, they get initiative -- period. Yes, they all go before we can twitch. (actively; passive actions like contingencies are a different matter). If they had fielded too few characters, we'd've given them a surprise round AND conceded initiative, both (they have far too many for that). Oh, and we're not allowed to use true Epic spells, at any point and for any reason.

Should be interesting, because it's boiled down to a pretty well even match without the conceded initiative (they come to smething like an EL25- or 26-ish encounter; Darien and Eilendra come out between EL26 and EL27) ... and I can see why wraith8 would be here, trying to find out how the heck to breach an epic-scale SR. :D

For folks offering further advice: the game is solidly and purely under 3.0 rules, with lots of house rules in place. Both are over on RPOL.net, and have extensive House Rule files aimed at rebalancing the system for PvP play. You can find them both under "Arenas" (surprisingly enough), if you want to look at the house rules for one or both.

wraith8's from the nonepic "Halls of Valhalla"; I can't speak for them, but I'm sure if some of you proved interested in trying an ECL15-ish arena out, they'd welcome some new players.

I run the epic arena, "The Exodus"; obviously I can speak for Exodus, and we would be perfectly happy to welcome newcomers. :cool: We're in the middle of converting to the new, revised rules and all new characters must be built with the revision, but pre-3.5 prestige classes from non-core sources are available -- they'll get converted, if conversion is needed, as players submit characters lookign to use them.

Drop by both places, take a look, and if you like either or both, sign up! :)

wraith8

First Post
Thanx Pax. Oh and thanx for the help from Elantra................ Oskar was not what i meant for him to be.

Yeah, i have like a .001 percent chance against darien. But what the hell, i like to lose! As thats how you learn lol.

Actually i have a better way to pierce sr than what you think.
TEE HEE

James McMurray

First Post
Simpl aving caster level forty should be good enough to bypass SR without all the Fortify Spell tricks. :)

Also, since Odin allows Relics and Rituals, look at the spell Remove Resistance if you can get a copy of it. It lowers the target's spell resistance by 1/caster level (max 15). It does allow SR itself, but you get a +10 bonus o the check. There is Fortitude save to negate, but any resistance bonuses the target has active do not count for resisting this spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads