• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

empowered ray of enfeeblement?

Thanee

First Post
mzsylver said:
But those take a few rounds to cast. Not something to do in combat. However, using the Rapid Spell Feat, it takes a mere round! Or, better yet, have a Potion of Lesser Restoration handy - it will get rid of all your Ray of Enfeeblement woes.

Yep, potion is best. That 3 round casting time is a big turn-off in combat. Of course, if that's all they got... and the paladin might have one such spell prepared himself even. :)

Bye
Thanee

Staffan

Legend
azhrei_fje said:
If an individual creature is targeted with multiple simultaneous ray of enfeeblement effects, would a lesser restoration eliminate all of them or only one?
From the SRD: "Lesser restoration dispels any magical effects reducing one of the subject’s ability scores"

Note the plural. If someone is under the effects of three rays of enfeeblement, he has three non-stacking effects that reduce his Str. Lesser Restoration dispels all of them.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
An 11th level wizard is going to have a tough time doing any whupping if he is facing five 10-11th level PCs. By CR he is quite likely to just be a speedbump for them unless he has a lot of allies he is working with who can take advantage of (for instance) his debuffing.

So what is your BBEG setup going to be? What allies does he have against these dratted adventurers?

Thanee

First Post
Depending on spells and setup and the means of the party to deal with that, an 11th level wizard can range from a minor nuisance to an extremely dangerous opponent. :)

Bye
Thanee

Henrix

Explorer
Thanee said:
With your party, there should be a few Lesser Restoration or Restoration spells prepared, which completely dispel the Strength penalty.

What's wrong with Dispel Magic? Not failsafe, but handy!

TheGogmagog

First Post
Thanee said:
With your party, there should be a few Lesser Restoration or Restoration spells prepared, which completely dispel the Strength penalty.
By completely dispel the Strenght penalty, I assume you mean 1d4 strenght penalty for each casting. The wizard will have three empowered rays averaging 12 str damage, and how many lesser restorations do you expect a party that level to have memorized?

zhrei_fje said:
If an individual creature is targeted with multiple simultaneous ray of enfeeblement effects, would a lesser restoration eliminate all of them or only one? If similar spell effects overlap, I would think the restoration spell would only cure the effect of one spell, not all of them. What do others think?

P.S.: Don't forget touch of idiocy for the spellcasters in the party, too! No reason why they shouldn't join in on the fun!
Speaking from memory, which isn't very reliable, I thought penalties did stack, but bonuses don't.
Also touch of idiocy is good, but 9 points of strenth drain will likely do the same, and his fortitude isn't his strong point.
Henrix said:
What's wrong with Dispel Magic? Not failsafe, but handy!
The ray is likely instantanious, and not dispelable.

Hmm, I probably shouldn't be posting when I dont have time to look things up. Back to work for me.

Shallown

First Post
Penalties from different sources Stack (I think) but the problem becomes enffeble stops at a 1 str so even if you inflict additional strength damage (not penalty) you often cannot get it below a 1.

BTW I use empowered Rays of Enffeeble quite a bit an dit is highly effective. Last fight I made a barbed devil retreat twice with a 16 and 15 point ray of enfeeble He got hit with one and teleported away and rid himself of it to return and get hit by another. It is a highle effective spell that has often turned the tide of battle in my games. At highe rlevels it is better than even Magic missile.

later

Prism

Explorer
TheGogmagog said:
By completely dispel the Strenght penalty, I assume you mean 1d4 strenght penalty for each casting. The wizard will have three empowered rays averaging 12 str damage, and how many lesser restorations do you expect a party that level to have memorized?

Lesser restoration completely dispels magical effects that reduce stats e.g ray of enfeeblement. It cures 1d4 points of ability damage like poison damage

Speaking from memory, which isn't very reliable, I thought penalties did stack, but bonuses don't.
Also touch of idiocy is good, but 9 points of strenth drain will likely do the same, and his fortitude isn't his strong point.

Penalties from the same source or type don't stack in the same way bonus's don't stack. Having said that I can't think of a penalty with a type of the top of my head

The ray is likely instantanious, and not dispelable.

Ray of enfeeblement has a duration of 1 min per level

Hmm, I probably shouldn't be posting when I dont have time to look things up. Back to work for me.

;)

glass

(he, him)
Prism said:
Penalties from the same source or type don't stack in the same way bonus's don't stack. Having said that I can't think of a penalty with a type of the top of my head
IIRC, Ray of Enfeeblement gave an enhancement penalty in 3.0. IIRC it's worded differently in 3.5 because they did away with penalty types, but the effect is the same.

EDIT: Actually, most non-stacking penalties are expressed as conditions in 3.5, but ray of enfeeblement isn't, it's just an untyped penalty. Which means it would stack with other Str penalties. Of course, it still does not stack with itself.

glass.

Last edited:

In the section of the 3.5 PH discussing stacking of penalties, ray of enfeeblement is what they use as an example of penalties from multiple spells not stacking.

It definitely doesn't stack, which is just as well.

Remove ads