• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Empowered Summon Monster spells - how many critters?

F5

Explorer
I want to use a summon monster spell to litter a battlefield with bunches of lesser critters to act as distractions/meat shields/ etc. I'm considering that a good way to boost the number of critters summoned per spell would be to Empower it, yes?

But I'm not sure how the math would work. What, exactly, is 1d4+1 increased by one half? 1d4+1+1d2? 1d6+2? Something else?

More to the point, are 3-8 celestial badgers really worth the effort when you could have a hound archon for the same level spell? Or am I maybe better off with multiple castings from a Summon Monster wand?

Pyrex

First Post
Example: Using an Empowered Summon IV (6th level spell slot) to summon creatures from the Summon II list:

1.5 x (d4+1) creatures. On average this will summon 5.25 creatures.

1d4+1 increased by 1/2 is (1d4+1)*1.5, rounded down.

In other words, the possibilities are (2,3,4,5)*1.5, or 3, 4, 6, or 7 creatures.

Are 3-8 celestial badgers more useful than a Hound Archon? Probably not. But I'm sure there are situations in which that it is possible that they are.

azmodean

First Post
Stated more plainly, you roll the dice, then increase that number by half with empower, you don't change the dice used. There are at least a few situations where multiple, weaker monsters might be better:
a: need creatures in more than one place at a time.
b: opponent has powerfull one-shot ability that could take out the hound archon with one hit, but can only take out one of the badgers.

The weaker creatures need to be able to help by merely being there, or strong enough to actually accomplish something with their abilities.
For instance, you could summon creatures behind an enemy line to provide flanking bonuses for your party members. They could also use the aid other action to help out more(assuming they are smart enough to understand aid other)
Otherwise they need either an ability that has a chance of working on your enemies, or a high enough attack bonus to have a chance of hitting.

On a side note, I have a house rule that allows someone to ignore a foe, which denies them the flanking bonus, but the person doing the ignoring loses their dex bonus against that target and gets a -5 dex penalty against them.

A lot depends upon the enemy.

If they are fairly powerful, they will most likely go for the biggest threat on the field rather than a few mooks - thus ignoring them.
However, if they are fairly dumb, you might find that these mooks can suitably distract larger monsters (use up their attacks of opportunity) so that party members may engage more safely. You just have to pick your targets well.
In a recent combat, my conjurer/alienist (see signature below) got lucky with a MS VII producing 5 Giant Psuedonatural Crocodiles. Now these things are meat shields! Something Huge in size is something that must be dealt with and won't be ignored. You might find in your case that one of these is far more of a threat than up to 7 badgers in terms of distraction. Just remember that when it comes down to meat shields, its size that matters.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

taliesin15

First Post
now let's say in this case your result includes a fraction that would normally be rounded down--what if one's mage was able to Summon an array of Gelatinous Cubes, Oozes, Black Puddings and the like--wouldn't it just make sense to let the mage summon a certain *volume* of said creature, in whatever location and array he or she would like? eh?

F5

Explorer
Thanks, all. I'm having a forehead-slapping moment now...I never even considered that I didn't have to alter the dice I was rolling, just the result. It's obvious now that it's been pointed out to me. Oy. I think I need to get more sleep, or more vitamin c, or something...

F5

Explorer
taliesin15 said:
now let's say in this case your result includes a fraction that would normally be rounded down--what if one's mage was able to Summon an array of Gelatinous Cubes, Oozes, Black Puddings and the like--wouldn't it just make sense to let the mage summon a certain *volume* of said creature, in whatever location and array he or she would like? eh?

That would be fun. But definitely in house rule territory, and DM's call.

I'm still processing the image of dropping 5 huge pseudonatural crocodiles on somebody. Ouch...

frankthedm

First Post
F5 said:
I'm still processing the image of dropping 5 huge pseudonatural crocodiles on somebody. Ouch...

Picture Mola-Ram the size of a hill giant. Now add a touch of lovecraft to the alligators.

Messy, very messy, especially the Chuncks O' Victim that appear mid air when the things are sent back.

Victim

First Post
frankthedm said:
Picture Mola-Ram the size of a hill giant. Now add a touch of lovecraft to the alligators.

Messy, very messy, especially the Chuncks O' Victim that appear mid air when the things are sent back.

I'm not wishing horrible deaths on you. Be polite.

Remove ads