• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[EN World Book Club] Eragon [February 2004 Selection]

Sam

First Post
I've only got a few minutes right now, but wanted to get the discussion started. I'll post more later.

I finished reading Eragon just a few days ago and found that I really enjoyed the story. Its even more impressive when you take into consderation that Paolini only 15 or 16 years old when he began writing it. Eragon is a very good novel, without taking into consideration that it is a first novel or that it was written by a teenager.

It is tempting (and hard not to) compare things you are reading to things that have come before. In this, people will compare Paolini's book to works by earlier authors. Even to say that it is derivative. When reading Eragon, I found myself thinking "this seems like something in the Wheel of Time novels" or "that's like what happened in the Pern series." I think that these things are forgivable and do not necessarily make something derivative. After all, there are only a certain amount of basic themes that can be drawn upon. Good fantasy literature is like any other good literature in that the things that make it good are the combination of prose, plot and people. Paolini captures these three things in Eragon.

I enjoyed his style. The use of short chapters created a feeling of reading (or even watching) a series of vingettes. Unlike other authors that draw you into the world through the presentation of every bit of a character's life (particularly thinking about Jordan here), Paolini seems to be giving you the essence of the character and the formative events without causing you to sit through his breakfast decision. Almost like writing a screenplay vs a detailed journal of every day in the life of a character.

Perhaps because of this, Paolini's characters are not as complex as the may have been. Maybe this was purposeful. He could have been striving for the archetype and wanted to present it as such. If so, it worked. And if so, even more impressive regarding his age. I don't think that was the intention though. I suspect we'll see futher in the subsequent novels. If the characters develop significantly (along with the author), then it wasn't intentional.

I am looking forward to Eldest, the next novel in the story line. Even so, Eragon seemed to work well as a stand alone book. I am interested in seeing what happens to Eragon, Alagaesia, the Varden, etc., but I don't feel like Eragon as a story is not complete. Paolini is writing a trilogy of books, but (at least based on Eragon) they will each stand on their own. It is rare to find this in Fantasy. Too many authors and publishers look at the progression of LotR (which should have been one [albiet large] book) and think that is the way it has to be done. Outside of the fantasy genre, many series are written with each being component being able to stand on its own.

One question before I post (and I will post more later): How did Murtagh speak with Saphria when they were rescuing Eragon in Gilead? I don't know if this is foreshadowing on Paolini's part or if it is just a bit of incontinuity.

Krug

Newshound
Well my thoughts: I felt Eragon wasn't complete. Obviously there's a bigger struggle at hand, and the ending only presented a minor battle in the grand scheme of things. But hey this is fantasy and trilogies are a dime a dozen.

I felt the book, by using only Eragon's POV, became slightly draining, though the short chapters did help it along. Also, Paolini seemed quite fond of using blackouts to move the narration.

Also, the world building isn't too unique. Dwarves, elves, dragon riders.. still, it's a pretty consistent world. (What was the reason they didn't just ride on Sephira across the desert again?)

Overall, I felt that Eragon wouldn't have gained that much attention if it wasn't written by a teenager. It's a good and readable book, no doubt, but not exceptional, and I still find myself looking to the next Terry Pratchett or George RR Martin rather than Eldest.

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Gonna just throw some random thoughts out there:

Some interesting stuff on the official site here: Alagaesia.com

I found the book good, but not great. Honestly, that is not a dig or a complaint, every book can't be great. It was a very enjoyable read; I had fun. For some reason, once they got to the Varden I lost some steam, and the feel of the book seemed to change. But that makes sense, as Eragon was maturing from a young boy with little direction into a dragon rider.

Like Sam, I found myself saying "that sounds like X" a few times, but that is almost unavoidable in traditional fantasy. I may not have been as critical, looking for that sort of thing, had I not know this was a first novel from a young author.

I will certainly read the rest of the trilogy, and am interest to find out what becomes of the characters. That is about the best praise you can give.

Sam

First Post
I'm surprised about the lack of interest in discussing Eragon. Especially given the response when the book was selected. Perhaps it's as JoeBlank said in another thread, that the good books don't get as much talk as the poor ones. (If that doesn't start any discussion, I don't know what will. :p )

To expand a bit on my first post, I found Eragon refreshing. It seemed like Paolini was coming at some familiar themes (easy enough to do in fantasy) but with a new take. I hope it continues in the series. I also appreciated that I could give that book to my 11 year old daughter and not have to worry about any inappropriate sections. She's looking forward to reading it (after she finishes the last Lemony Snicket book), and I'm looking forward to discussing it with her.

Still interested in people's thoughts on Murtagh's ability to speak with Saphira.....

Sam

First Post
I was wondering when this would be announced.....

http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/eragon/news.htm
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eragon Coming to a Screen Near You![/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some great news for all die-hard Eragon fans! Fox 2000, a division of 20th Century Fox announced that they have bought the rights for Eragon and are scheduled to release the film in 2005.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We read the book very early in manuscript form when the family was trying to self-publish it," says Elizabeth Gabler, president of Fox 2000 said in an article in USA Today (1/20/04). "We found the core relationship between a boy and a dragon who share a telepathic connection a strong concept for a movie."[/font]
Just hope Saphira looks better than the dragons in most recent films.

Last edited:

shouit

Explorer
I am not a current member of the book club, but I read the book.
I found it to be a fun read. A favorite trend of fantasy authors nowdays
is too complex. Lets have soo many characters that people need to
take notes, so many plots (i.e. Jordan) that you need to reread the books
everytime a new book comes out. I find the book refreshingly simple. Just
my 2 cents.

nHammer

First Post
I wasn't in the mood to read fantasy so I decided not to get involve in this discussion. I am looking forward to the next book though.

Sam

First Post
shouit said:
I am not a current member of the book club, but I read the book.
We have a very strict membership policy here. You're a member if you satisfy one of the following requirements:
1) You post in a book club discussion;
2) You've read a book under discussion and think about posting;
3) You'd like to read an upcoming book and participate (or lurk) in the discussion.

That's it. Welcome to the book club!

JoeBlank

Explorer
Sam said:
To expand a bit on my first post, I found Eragon refreshing. It seemed like Paolini was coming at some familiar themes (easy enough to do in fantasy) but with a new take. I hope it continues in the series. I also appreciated that I could give that book to my 11 year old daughter and not have to worry about any inappropriate sections. She's looking forward to reading it (after she finishes the last Lemony Snicket book), and I'm looking forward to discussing it with her.
Agreed on how refreshing the book was. Even the classic themes did not feel old.

Sam, you know your daughter better than anyone, but I just wanted to remind you of the scene where they find the entire town massacred. Sorry I can't be more specific right now, but I read the book almost a month ago and have loaned it out. I believe there is even a baby on spear. I was a little surprised by the scene, and it was one of the few places that I could sense the author's immaturity. I think he felt the need for the graphic description because he did not have faith in his ability to convey the severity of the situation.

Remove ads