• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World EN5ider Has Launched!

EN World EN5ider has launched! EN World EN5ider is the new way to get regular gaming articles and adventures online. For a small monthly donation, you will receive rules articles, gaming advice, adventures, and more. Collect EN5ider articles and adventures designed and formatted to be filed in a binder. The treasure hoard of a winged fire-breathing reptile and a subterranean cave complex all in one place. And best of all - YOU decide how much you want to pay! Not only that, there are four free sample articles for you to check out before you become a Patron!

EN World EN5ider has launched! EN World EN5ider is the new way to get regular gaming articles and adventures online. For a small monthly donation, you will receive rules articles, gaming advice, adventures, and more. Collect EN5ider articles and adventures designed and formatted to be filed in a binder. The treasure hoard of a winged fire-breathing reptile and a subterranean cave complex all in one place. And best of all - YOU decide how much you want to pay! Not only that, there are four free sample articles for you to check out before you become a Patron!

Head on over to EN World EN5ider right here! Check out the free articles, and if you like what you see, choose how much you'd like to donate per article and become a Patron. There's some awesome stuff in the pipeline!

binder_ensider.gif

There are four FREE sample articles for you to check out before you become a Patron - including an entire adventure! Download The Business of Emotion (an adventure by Paul Okesh), 5 Campaign Lessons from The Hobbit Films by Eric Pierce, Cherished Trinkets by Ryan Chaddock, and Archery Contests by Russ Morrissey. If you like what you see, and want more of this every week, simply become a Patron!

samples.jpg

redrick

First Post
I asked Morrus about this earlier. The articles would do fine in epub format. I might just create an example epub from one of the pdf's to check if my assumption about amount of work is correct. For adventures, it's probably not worth it, due to more advanced formatting needed in some cases.

I haven't looked too closely at this particular adventure, but I think, in general, most adventures can handle a more linear e-book formatting, and it doesn't require a whole lot of extra work. Sidebars and the like won't work with an ebook, but you simply need to plant the sidebar somewhere in your linear flow (NPC sidebar before or after the encounter?) and move on. The nice thing about ebook formatting is that the smaller page ultimately demands a lot less than a 2-column full-page layout.

I've been running the Quests of Doom adventures through an OCR program, a few regular expressions and Calibre, and I can have them looking pretty good on my Kindle without too much work.

I realize that "too much work" is entirely subjective, but if there are other folks out there who would value eBook friendly formats, it might be worth exploring?

halberd10

First Post
I would absolutely value kindle-friendly articles! So much so, in fact, that I would be willing to up my pledge by a dollar or 2 to get them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll look into how much it would cost to get each article laid out in other formats, but I honestly can't promise anything without a bunch more information and spreadsheet wrangling. The schedule is pretty darn tight as it is, getting stuff done once a week and all the costs, pledge levels, and goals are pretty tightly spreadsheeted! I'll ask Justin, our layout person, what it would involve, and if it's something he feels can be squeezed into the week, and play with the spreadsheet to see where it could fit costs-wise in terms of milestones and the like. If it *is* possible it would likely be a higher milestone. No promises at this stage!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The next article is ready, and I love it. I'll likely upload it in a couple of days. It's an article about pets - dogs, wolves, giant fire beetles, etc. and how to domesticate them, and train them to do tricks and tasks. It's designed so that the ranger companion and spellcaster's familiars are still veyr much the more potent option, but a fighter who wants a dog or a giant hunting spider to do some simple things can do so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So am I understanding correctly that these new articles are not available for download until April 1?

You can download them as soon as your patronage starts, which is the start of the month following your pledge. Patreon processes patronages (and payments) once a month.

redrick

First Post
I'll look into how much it would cost to get each article laid out in other formats, but I honestly can't promise anything without a bunch more information and spreadsheet wrangling. The schedule is pretty darn tight as it is, getting stuff done once a week and all the costs, pledge levels, and goals are pretty tightly spreadsheeted! I'll ask Justin, our layout person, what it would involve, and if it's something he feels can be squeezed into the week, and play with the spreadsheet to see where it could fit costs-wise in terms of milestones and the like. If it *is* possible it would likely be a higher milestone. No promises at this stage!

Thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]! That's good enough for me. I hope they turn out to be feasible and that enough other patrons appreciate the value, but I'm just happy to know they're on all y'all's radar.

halberd10

First Post
If you took the art out of an article, and stripped it down to only text, you should then be able to email it to amazon, and they will convert it to kindle format for you for free. I know that it wouldn't provide a perfect conversion, but if they provided patrons with a seperate file, containing text only, then those patrons with a kindle account could have it converted to kindle format for free if they wish. I don't know the logistics of doing something like that, but it seems like it would be fairly easy to provide a text only PDF file for patrons to download. Just a thought.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads