• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[En5ider #59] Epic Threats: Elementals

New for EN5ider patrons! As we round off the first month of 2016, we'd like to thank you all for helping us reach that 1,000 patron target! And we hope that every one of you enjoys this instalment of our Epic Threats series from EN5ider veteran James Introcaso in which we bring you - in standard 5E stat-clock format! - the Magma Elemental (CR 16), Mud Elemental (CR 14), Sand Elemental (CR 13), Smoke Elemental (CR 12), Steam Elemental (CR 11), and the mighty Storm Elemental (CR 15). Illustrated by Vanessa Bailey.

New for EN5ider patrons! As we round off the first month of 2016, we'd like to thank you all for helping us reach that 1,000 patron target! And we hope that every one of you enjoys this instalment of our Epic Threats series from EN5ider veteran James Introcaso in which we bring you - in standard 5E stat-clock format! - the Magma Elemental (CR 16), Mud Elemental (CR 14), Sand Elemental (CR 13), Smoke Elemental (CR 12), Steam Elemental (CR 11), and the mighty Storm Elemental (CR 15). Illustrated by Vanessa Bailey.

Become a patron now for as little as $1 and get access to this and all 58 other EN5ider articles and adventures!

elementals.jpg

Faenor

Explorer
Nice work. Not particularly 'epic' though. Different definitions, I suppose, but if it's going to be huge size, It's going to need a large space, and therefore a boss, and a boss should have legendary. So, either I'd make them large and use them as minions for higher level encounters, or add legendaries.

Jimbro

Explorer
Nice work. Not particularly 'epic' though. Different definitions, I suppose, but if it's going to be huge size, It's going to need a large space, and therefore a boss, and a boss should have legendary. So, either I'd make them large and use them as minions for higher level encounters, or add legendaries.

Hey thanks for the kind words!

In this case the word epic really refers to the fact that these are all CR 11+ monsters. I have to disagree that all Huge creatures should have legendary status. The Monster Manual set the precedent with giants, behirs, balors, remorhaz, fomorians and others being Huge creatures without legendary status. Heck rocs, purples worms, and dragon turtles are Gargantuan and don't have legendary resistance or actions.

The kind of great thing about many of these elementals is that they don't require a large space. Their abilities which allow them to squeeze in tight spaces and occupy the same space as other creatures make them the perfect big foe for tiny spaces.

Faenor

Explorer
The sharing space thing is something I hadn't thought about - and helping me see some real possibilities I hadn't considered. Thank you!

Remove ads

Remove ads