EN5ider Turns 150 With Ari Marmell's TIDES OF BATTLE - Cinematic Stunts for 5E!

It's EN5ider's 150th article! To celebrate, Ari "Mouseferatu" Marmell, acclaimed fantasy novelist, Dungeons and Dragons author, and beloved member of the EN World community, has returned to EN5ider for its 150th issue! Though Ari is mostly writing fantasy novels nowadays, he decided to reprise his role as a top-notch RPG designer for this special event. Ari has returned to change the Tides of Battle by introducing cinematic stunts to Fifth Edition. With this combat module, your character gains the tools to perform amazing feats of acrobatics, use dirty tricks, and dazzle your enemies... without giving up any usefulness in combat in exchange for dramatic flair. Of course, GMs need not fear; it wouldn't be fair if the monsters didn't get these tricks, too...

It's EN5ider's 150th article! To celebrate, Ari "Mouseferatu" Marmell, acclaimed fantasy novelist, Dungeons and Dragons author, and beloved member of the EN World community, has returned to EN5ider for its 150th issue! Though Ari is mostly writing fantasy novels nowadays, he decided to reprise his role as a top-notch RPG designer for this special event. Ari has returned to change the Tides of Battle by introducing cinematic stunts to Fifth Edition. With this combat module, your character gains the tools to perform amazing feats of acrobatics, use dirty tricks, and dazzle your enemies... without giving up any usefulness in combat in exchange for dramatic flair. Of course, GMs need not fear; it wouldn't be fair if the monsters didn't get these tricks, too...

Join us in celebrating EN5ider's 150th issue with this action-packed supplement by one of RPGs' sharpest wits! Thank you for supporting us through 150 fantastic issues. You inspire us to continue creating strange creatures and epic adventures. We couldn't do it without you.

Here's to the next 150!

tides.jpg

By becoming a patron of EN5ider, the 5th Edition Patreon, you get immediate access not just to this article, but to all 150 of EN5ider's articles and adventures! We're also publishing the 5E version of the acclaimed ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution adventure path on the Patreon. Here's a look at just some of the recent articles you will be able to download immediately - it's an incredibly good deal! If you pledge just $5 per month (and, as a Patreon, you can pledge as much or as little as you want - that's just a suggestion), those 150 fully illustrated articles and adventures work out to just $0.03 each.

• #149. Monstrous Menagerie: Deep Dwellers. Meet the Grimlock Supplicant, Grimlock Brute, Revilok, Troglodyte Meatseeker, and the Troglodyte Wallower in this article detailing monsters found deep underground. By Ambrose Ingram; illustrated by Sade.
  • #148. Anatomy of a Town. Our popular Anatomy Of... series continues! We've had taverns, war camps, and wizards' towers - and this time we have a system for randomly creating a rural village! Roll for its name, size, mood, industry, landmarks, and it's dark secret.... By Jeff Gomez; illustrated by Phil Stone.
  • #147. Magical Dungeon Archetypes. The bard's College of the Passage, the cleric's Labyrinth divine domain, the druid's Circle of the Worked Stone, the sorcerers Oozemancer bloodline, the warlock's Enigmatic Eye patron, and the wizard's School of the Inside Out are all new archetypes based around the delving of dungeons and the exploration of the dark places. By Mike Myler; illustrated by Sade.
  • #146. Cosmic Syzygy. Some sorcerers are linked to the heavens - the cosmic power of stars, moons, and planets. This new Sorcerous Origin is accompanied by the Astrologer and Cosmic Ritualist feats, and the new spells Astromancy and Eclipse. Sorcerers with the Cosmic Syzygy ring grow more powerful at times of astrological significance, and are able to evoke the power of destiny, draw energy from the alignments of celestial bodies, and glimpse into the future. By David N Ross; illustrated by Ellis Goodson.
  • #145. Malonge's Mnemonic of Subterranean Spells. Eight new spells, and details about Lamar Lamonge's spellbook. Dwarven miners discovered the Mnemonic lining the underground nest of a gargantuan mutant raven. These excerpts have circulated into the wizarding community, introducing spells such as Darklight, Malonge's Malevolent Missile, and Stonesense. By C. Richard Davies; illustrated by Egil Thompson.
  • #144. ZEITGEIST Player's Guide (Part Four: Risur & Ber). This supplement is the fourth part of the ZEITGEIST Player's Guide for 5E. In these pages you will find setting and background information on the ZEITGEIST campaign setting, and the nations of Risur and Ber, encompassing land and culture, major cities, race, religion, and government. Learn about fey and the mortal realms, the Sword of Black Needles, the fey titans, the Ursalina Bear Games, The Tyrant's Eye, and more! By Ryan Nock.
  • #143. Anatomy of a Tavern. From Jeff Gomez comes the latest in this series. We've covered wizard's towers and military camps; and this time, we present tables for randomly generating a tavern! Use dice to generate its name, atmosphere, signature drink, signature meal, bartender, and patrons. Illustrated by Phil Stone.
  • #142. ZEITGEIST: Bonds of Forced Faith. This 32-page adventure, Bonds of Forced Faith, is a prologue to the ZEITGEIST adventure path. Featuring a group of pregenerated PCs 100 years before the main adventure path begins, the players play King Lorcan Finn and his retinue which includes Dame Melissa Gahlot the Green Knight; Mayor Roland Stanfield, the reincarnated deva; Principal Minster Harkover Lee, the fire-wielding defender of the King; Godgand Thomas Masaryk, a foreign holy warrior; and Amielle Latimer, a tiefling gunsmith from Danor. This group of legendary characters must defeat a cover of witches, led by the Red Contessa, who lair on Cauldron Hill. An enchanting excursion for 10th level characters, this adventure can serve as a one-shot or as a prologue to the ZEITGEIST adventure path.
  • #141. Dungeon Callings. These new backgrounds by Walt Ciechanowski are all linked to the depths of the world underground - the Deep Hunter, a skilled at tracking prey in underground environments; Escape From Below, a character who escaped captivity and fled to the surface; and the Imposter, someone with a stolen identity. Illustrated by Peter Woods.
  • #140, Collegia Magia: Mahala Academy. The Mahala Imperial Academy trains spell casters in the art of war magic. Along with a description of the Academy, in this article by Josh Gentry you'll find new bonds and flaws, new feats such as Imperial Pyromancy and Occult Informant, outlines of significant NPCs, rumours and plot hooks, random faction conspiracies, and the Imperial Pyromancer stat block. Illustrated by Phil Stone.
  • #139. ZEITGEIST Player's Guide (Part Three: Flint & the RHC). The third part of the ZEITGEIST Player's Guide for 5th Edition introduces the city of Flint, and the Rylah Homeland Constabulary. Complete with full-colour maps, this guide describes the various districts of Flint, along with the hierarchy of the RHC, details about its headquarters, and information on trailing and interrogating suspects.
  • #138. Anatomy of a War Camp. These quick random tables enable you to quickly create a unique war camp, describing its grounds, sleeping arrangements, leisure activities, defences and night watch, and the types of treasure pillaged. By Jeff Gomez; illustrated by Phil Stone.
  • #137. Beware of Mold and Other Dungeon Hazards. Designer GM Lent introduces a range of dungeon hazards to ruin your players' day - the euphoria-inducing bliss mold, the spell-resistant elven mold, the deceptive mirage blight, horrifying living walls, mire mold, putrid slime, and umber mold. Illustrated by Sade.
  • #136. Keep Your Powder Dry! Part 3: Industrial Firepower. In the third part of your Keep Your Powder Dry Series, we take a look at industrial firepower - the weapons from the 18th and early 20th centuries. New 5E weapon properties include capacity, chain fire, and double-action are joined by the new weapons - the carbine, pepperbox pistol and rifle, pocket pistol, revolver, and rifle. Finally, we include new feats such as Greased Lightning and Mounted Musketeer. By Walt Ciechanowski; illustrated by Tamara Cvetkovic.
  • #135. Don't Lose the Light. The world is filled with deep, dark places that few dare to venture into: prehistoric caverns, ancient tombs, and foreboding dungeons. All of these places have one thing in common: their lack of light. These are places where the sun holds no sway, and the evil creatures that dwell within them hunt and thrive in total darkness. Only a fool would venture into such a place without a light source. Sometimes, even a simple torch or iron lantern isn’t enough to pierce the darkness of such places, which is where this article comes in. “Don’t Lose the Light” provides players and Game Masters alike with five custom light source items that can be purchased, found, or collected as treasure.
  • #134. ZEITGEIST Player's Guide (Part Two: Equipment). In these 11 pages you'll find information on equipment for the ZEITGEIST adventure path. From explosive alchemicals to gentlemen's goggles to new firearms, plus ships of the Royal Homeland Constabulary, details on Prestige and how to requisition equipment and call in favors, and a selection of allied stats for police constables and soldiers. By Ryan Nock; illustrated by Claudio Pozas, Brian Lindahl, ShenFei; cartography by Jonathan Roberts.
  • #133. The Origins of Kobolds. Michael McCarthy takes a hard look at Kobolds and reveals the truth about them and their origins - the primal Kobalds. The dog-faced Kobalds differ to Kobolds, as do the Kobaloi, a race of immortal troublemakers. Also included are the Kobold Tunneler, Kobold Poisoner, and information on cobalt, a toxic substance used by Kobolds in blades and spikes for traps. Illustrated by Ellis Goodson.
  • #132. Collegia Magia: Johannes Institute of Science. The Johannes Institute of Science is a magical academy, renowned for its academic rigor. Whether alchemist, bard, druid, sorcerer, or any other magical class, all spellcasting characters have something to gain from this well-regarded institute. This article includes a description and history of the Johannes Institute, rumors and plot hooks, a new spell (transfiguration), background expansions, brief information on significant NPCs. Finally, it includes a table of random scientific innovations. By Josh Gentry; illustrated by Victoria Oliveira.
  • #131. The Ways of Dream and Nightmare. The cleric's Dream Domain grants revelations and forges nightmares into weapons; the sorcerer's Transcendant Soul origin uses the power of dream to slip across planar boundaries; and the wizard's School of Nightmares uses necromancy and illusion to spread fear. Also here, you'll find 7 new eldritch invocations for warlocks, such as Nightmare Mask, Ominous Dreams, and Word of Doom. By Brandes Stoddard; illustrated by Egil Thompson.
  • #130. ZEITGEIST Player's Guide (Part One: Characters). "Steam and soot darken the skies above the city of Flint, and winds sweeping across its majestic harbor blow the choking products of industrial forges into the fey rainforests that dot its knife-toothed mountains." This 16-page document is designed for players (the separate Campaign Guide, EN5ider #128, is for GMs only and decribes the whole plot of the adventure path). Within you will find a brief introduction to the setting, the Deva and Eladrin races, and nine character themes - Docker, Eschatologist, Gunsmith, Martial Scientist, Skyseer, Spirit Medium, Technologist, Vekeshi Mystic, and Yerasol Veteran. By Ryan Nock; illustrated by Claudio Pozas, Brian Lindahl, ShenFei; cartography by Jonathan Roberts.
  • #129. Keep Your Powder Dry! Part 2: Early Modern Firearms. In our second article in this series (see EN5ider #125), we take a look at easily modern firearms. From blunderbusses to matchlocks, with new customizations and new items such as adamantine bullets, dragon's breath shot, and The Proclaimer, a blessed firearm, this article continues to expand on the firearms rules from the core rulebooks. By Walt Ciechanowski; illustrated by Indi Martin.
  • #128. ZEITGEIST Campaign Guide. The Campaign Guide details the plot of the ZEITGEIST adventure path and introduces various antagonists and power groups. If you're planning on playing the ZEITGEIST adventure path (rather than running it), this guide will seriously spoil the experience for you.
  • #127. Collegia Magia: Granspire Seminary. This holy lighthouse holds a dark secret. The start of a series on plug-in magical colleges, this article contains rumors, plot hooks, background options, a new item, a new spell, and the Sea Monk, the nameless demon of Granspire Seminary. By Josh Gentry; illustrated by Phil Stone.
  • #126. Monstrous Menagerie: Titans of the End Times. Monsters in fantasy roleplaying games are often derived from classical mythology, and this article is no different. Meet Antaeus, a 20-foot marble giant from Greek mythology; Jack-In-Irons, a bestial creature, wrapped in chains, from English Folklore; and Svyatogor, a colossal silver-bearded warrior from Russian legends. By Artem Serebrennikov; illustrated by Ellis Goodson.
  • #125. Keep Your Powder Dry! Part 1: Firearms for Fantasy Campaigns. The core rules include rules for firearms; this article takes a look at some of the very earliest gunpowder weapons. Walk Ciechanowski introduces three ancient firearms, five new weapon properties, rules for customizing firearms, the new Alchemist Advanced Study (for use with En5ider's Alchemist class), and three new magic items. Illustrated by Sade.
  • #124. Anatomy of a Wizard's Tower. Use these random tables to quickly generate a wizard's tower, with information on the wizard, their workshop, library, living quarters, and their vault and its defenses. By Jeff Gomez; illustrated by Phil Stone.
  • #123. Monstrous Menagerie: Giants of Legend. Four new giants bring the world's myths and legends into your 5E game! The hateful Endriago has the head of a lion and batlike wings; the chivalric Ferragut wears shining plate armor; the fur-wearing Jentialk use gigantic farm tools as weapons; and the Panoptes has dozens of eyes with a wicked stare. These giants come from Spanish, French, Basque, and Greek legend. By Artem Serebrennikov; illustrated by Sade.
  • #122. Servants of the Winter Court. In our final item of the month - and, indeed, the year - we introduce three themed fey NPCs. Grimollo the Voice Thief will steal your very words; Missus Silverbeak is a giant talking fairy owl; and Snowblind is the Knight of the Winter Wastes. By James Haek; illustrated by EIlis Goodson and Egil Thompson. Happy New Year, everybody, and let's have a great 2017 for EN5ider!
  • #121. While You Were Out. A range of archetypal NPC concepts and associated plot suggestions help you to build compelling and memorable emotial links in your players' minds. The Monster in the Forest, The Little Hero, The Mentor, The Strange Bedfellow, and more, are presented in this article by Steven W. Zundel 2nd. Illustrated by Ellis Goodson.
  • #120. Blessings of the Beyond. Benisons are a moderate supernatural gift type, somewhere between a charm and a blessing. This article introduces seven example benisons - Benison of Servile Conjuration, Benison of the Distant Gate, Benison of the Crystal Sphere, and more - along with game advice for the use of blessings and charms. By GM Lent; illustrated by Sade.
SaveSave

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
"Tides of Battle" is seriously awesome, and will see immediate use at my table. It's nice having a codified article of stuff similar to things I was making up anyway.

I do find it interesting that "Rhythm of Battle" gives a +5 bonus instead of granting advantage, and I'm curious about that design choice since it seems a little out of place in 5e.

[MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION],

While I haven't seen the final draft, so I don't know how it might have changed in development, when I wrote that stunt, it increased your place in an initiative order that had already been established. Since (by the core rules), you only roll init once, there was no roll to apply advantage to; you just moved up in the init order by +5. :)

(If you're using any of the optional systems where you roll init every round, I would suggest it simply give you advantage on init the round after you use it.)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
[MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION],

While I haven't seen the final draft, so I don't know how it might have changed in development, when I wrote that stunt, it increased your place in an initiative order that had already been established. Since (by the core rules), you only roll init once, there was no roll to apply advantage to; you just moved up in the init order by +5. :)

(If you're using any of the optional systems where you roll init every round, I would suggest it simply give you advantage on init the round after you use it.)

Oh. Right. Most people don't roll initiative every round. My game is the exception, not the norm. Oops.

Nothing to see here, folks. Carry on.

Heh. No worries. I still often forget that things I made--this house rule, or that monster background--aren't standard.

Or maybe I just blot that fact out because I want them to be. ;)

Pauln6

Hero
Looks interesting to try. I was toying with the idea of giving battle masters extra manoeuvres from the 5 minute work day supplement at the Fighter only stat boost levels to make them more versatile. That will probably give them enough of a sweetener to try this out.

JesterOC

Explorer
I like this implementation of stunts. I had tried my own a while back and with little success (too complicated). On the surface I would like to choose to do a stunt before I roll, but I think this method keeps it simple and helps speed up play. If everyone keeps contemplating stunts every turn the game will slow down.

Ari, cool work. I've been tinkering with a 'fighting game'-inspired rejigger to the combat system, which is more complicated than what you have. (I've got 5 stances - Assault, Brandished, Cunning, Defensive, and Engaged, loosely matched to M:tG's Green, Red, Black, Blue, and White color pie - which grant small bonuses. Each stance beats 2 others, so whenever you attack someone and your style is superior, you get a point of Peril you can apply to mess with them.)

When I finish mine, I'll have to offer your version as an option to my players (which they'll probably prefer, knowing their playstyles).

I'm looking at the version from EN5ider's Trello, but the text for Mid-Swing Correction says you can get stunts on the reroll, but The Basics on the previous page says you can't. Which is it?

Remove ads

Remove ads