• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enchanter Variant from UA

Lord Torin

First Post
On page 61 on Unearthed Arcana there is a variant listed for the Enchanter. Cohort variant reads:
"Upon reaching 6th level, an enchanter using this variant gains the service of a loyal cohort..."
"An Enchanter using this variant permanently gives up teh ability to obtain a familiar."

Does this happen at 6th Character level or 6th Class level?

shilsen

Adventurer
Lord Torin said:
On page 61 on Unearthed Arcana there is a variant listed for the Enchanter. Cohort variant reads:
"Upon reaching 6th level, an enchanter using this variant gains the service of a loyal cohort..."
"An Enchanter using this variant permanently gives up teh ability to obtain a familiar."

6th class level, I'd say.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
If you choose this variant, you give up the right to a familiar. The giving up the familiar happens when you choose the first level of that variant class.

Li Shenron

Legend
Lord Torin said:

Well, to be strict I'd say class level too, at least because it replaces a feature (the familiar) which improved only with wizard levels, not with character levels.

But since this is a variant, and you're losing a feature at level 1, you can as well make it work so that you get it at character lv 6 so that it works fine with multiclassing.

fba827

Adventurer
isn't there a general rule/sentence somewhere that says in class abilities/sections, any reference to "level" refers specifically to class level unless stated otherwise? (or something like that) ?

having said that, i would think it is class level.

Remove ads