• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encounter advice

Xilo

First Post
I'm new to DMing and I've been struggling with how to weight my encounters. My characters are all 1st or 2nd level and I really don't want to kill them this early on, but I want them to find the fights exciting.

For example last week they were set on by a group of 4 human thugs and the players dispatched them with out breaking a sweat.

So I threw in a CR2 challenge (an assasin vine) to shake things up a little and ended up fudging the rolls so that they didn't die!

So how many encounters do you think characters should face in a session? And do you think it is best to have lots of lower level creatures or a few tougher?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

At those levels, I find the encounter's outcome is driven more by the roll of the dice than by anything else.

2 weeks ago a party of 6 1st levels were nearly TPK'd by 2 goblins and their pet badger, because the party couldn't roll worth a spit.

Last week they killed 25 goblins (total, not all at one time) and only once had a character fall unconsious.

Cover plays a more important roll at lower levels as well, 1 kobold with 3/4 cover shooting the party with a shortbow while 2 of it's buddies try to keep the party at bay is much more challenging than 3 kobolds with daggers facing off against the party.

Terrain as well, 3 kobolds up in trees firing at the party make the encounter tougher than 3 kobolds charging the party on the open road.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong with your encounters, mortality is much higher at the low levels anyway.

Keep on gaming! :)

Xilo

First Post
Thanks for the advice. I was just feeling a little worried.

I've played through those levels a number of times, and even though there have been some very close calls it's very different when you're the one on the other end of encounter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads