• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encounter Distance and Two Wpn Fighting

sephyr

First Post
Hi I have two questions wondering if anyone here can help me with.

1) Are there any guidelines in 4th ed for determining encounter distance? Can't seem to find any info on it in the books or in the forums here. Thankx.

2) For 2-wpn fighting, you can only do that if you have the power now, i.e. only rangers and rogues? and to do that the 2nd weapon needs to be off-hand. Is that correct? So if one of my players want to make a Drizzt clone, is it not possible? Thanks again.

Danceofmasks

First Post
1) Don't remember off-hand, sorry.
2) Rangers taking the two-weapon fighting option (class feature) can use one-handed (as in not requiring off-hand property) weapons in their off-hand.

Drizzt clones aren't just possible .. with scimitar dance, they can get outright scary.

Mort_Q

First Post
1) Are there any guidelines in 4th ed for determining encounter distance? Can't seem to find any info on it in the books or in the forums here.

I don't understand the question. What do you mean my encounter distance?

2) For 2-wpn fighting, you can only do that if you have the power now, i.e. only rangers and rogues? and to do that the 2nd weapon needs to be off-hand. Is that correct? So if one of my players want to make a Drizzt clone, is it not possible?

Anyone can have a weapon in each hand, as long as one is an off hand weapon. Anyone can take the TWF feats provided the meet the prerequisites.

Rangers, however, can use any two one-handed weapons, and have powers that utilize both weapons in one turn.

If you want to Drizzt type character, you can, if you play a ranger.

Kordeth

First Post
2) For 2-wpn fighting, you can only do that if you have the power now, i.e. only rangers and rogues?

You can only attack twice in one round with your two weapons if you have a power that lets you do so--as I recall, the only class that gets such powers is the ranger. However, any character can take the various Two-Weapon Fighting feats, but he has to choose which weapon to attack with each round.

and to do that the 2nd weapon needs to be off-hand. Is that correct? So if one of my players want to make a Drizzt clone, is it not possible? Thanks again.

As Danceofmasks said, the ranger Two-Blade Fighting Style class allows you to use a one-handed weapon in your off-hand as though it were a light weapon.

David Sid

First Post
1) Are there any guidelines in 4th ed for determining encounter distance? Can't seem to find any info on it in the books or in the forums here. Thankx.

DMG Chapter 4, in the "Encounter Settings" section. Generally it's 5 to 20 squares, depending on visibility, with the possibility of even greater distances in open terrain.

Considering the longest-range attack is a maximum-range longbow attack with Far Shot—45 squares—I generally wouldn't use the battlemat at more than 45 squares, though the party might see the enemy well beyond that range.

Last edited:

Remove ads