• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encounter - good ally for some ogres?

NewJeffCT

First Post
The players are going to be moving through some passes in the mountains in game, wherein they will encounter some ogres.

I was thinking of having some ogre skirmisher types to start, then bring in some beefier melee types for the second wave.

What would be a good ally for the ogres? Maybe some worgs? Something else?

Thanks

Saagael

First Post
Maybe a hill giant or ettin is running the show with the ogres. Or perhaps they've got a pet Bullette or Galeb Duhr they use to cause rock slides and keep unwanted travelers away. If you want to turn this into a mini-adventure, perhaps the ogres are being driven further down the mountains into caravan territory by an earthquake dragon that is the cause of many recent quakes and rock slides.

Maybe a hill giant or ettin is running the show with the ogres. Or perhaps they've got a pet Bullette or Galeb Duhr they use to cause rock slides and keep unwanted travelers away. If you want to turn this into a mini-adventure, perhaps the ogres are being driven further down the mountains into caravan territory by an earthquake dragon that is the cause of many recent quakes and rock slides.

EDIT:

Wow that was strange, I typed something here and apparently it didn't take.

Anyhow, I agree with [MENTION=84839]Saagael[/MENTION] about a hill giant or ettin. I also thought maybe a cyclops would be a cool ally for the ogres as well.

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post

Good ideas - thanks.

Mentat55

First Post
I like the ettin and hill giant suggestions. Alternatively, a bear (maybe a dire bear or even an owlbear), some goblin or orc slaves (minions), a pet wyvern, an oni (ogre mage), or some sort of mountain hag would all fit.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I like the ettin and hill giant suggestions. Alternatively, a bear (maybe a dire bear or even an owlbear), some goblin or orc slaves (minions), a pet wyvern, an oni (ogre mage), or some sort of mountain hag would all fit.

I guess we're all thinking along the same lines. The final wave of the encounter will be hill giants. However, I was hoping to flesh out the initial encounter with ogres a bit more than with just ogres.

(the hill giants start their encounter by triggering an avalanche, BTW, after the ogres)

Maybe an ettin would work?

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Grrr... the site is buggy today it is just filling in the "quick reply" box below with the default text above. Silly EnWorld!

Remove ads