• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encounter Help

DiamondB

Explorer
I need some help coming up with a good series of encounters for my party. I'm going to have them investigating a "haunted" mansion but I'm not sure exactly what kind of encounters I should use. The party is only 2nd level, so actually having a ghost being the source of the haunting is out of the question. Theoretically I could use the ghost, and have the party help it move on to the afterlife, however, my group has the tendency to attack first and ask questions later. I've warned them that this tactic could (and will) lead to a TPK, but I don't think they listened. So instead of teaching them a lesson, I'm hoping to come up with a different source of the haunting. I considered a spellcaster hiding something (i.e. U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) but I have some oldtimers in the group that are quite familiar with that particular module.

So I turn to y'all for suggestions.

Kormydigar

First Post
DiamondB said:
I need some help coming up with a good series of encounters for my party. I'm going to have them investigating a "haunted" mansion but I'm not sure exactly what kind of encounters I should use. The party is only 2nd level, so actually having a ghost being the source of the haunting is out of the question. Theoretically I could use the ghost, and have the party help it move on to the afterlife, however, my group has the tendency to attack first and ask questions later. I've warned them that this tactic could (and will) lead to a TPK, but I don't think they listened. So instead of teaching them a lesson, I'm hoping to come up with a different source of the haunting. I considered a spellcaster hiding something (i.e. U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) but I have some oldtimers in the group that are quite familiar with that particular module.

So I turn to y'all for suggestions.

There is no reason you could not use a ghost. It does not have to be a "by the book" type of ghost however. Maybe this ghost is immune to all types of attack or turning but does not truly harm anyone either. In this case, the the only way to stop the haunting is to figure out what the ghost needs to rest in peace and make that happen. This way attacking first will have no real consequences for the party. They will have to gain the trust of the ghost, enough for it to let them know what it needs.

random user

First Post
Yeah you could make him like a sarcastic despondant ghost.

"Oh look another party of adventurers. Maybe I should run." (bored expression)

"Yeah they're hacking at me. Ow! Ow! No really, Ow! It hurts! The steel ripping through my flesh. Oh wait. I don't have any flesh."

"That sword looks heavy, are you tired yet? I hope you're getting a good workout, you look like you could use a little exercise."

"Oh what pretty lights. Did you mean to make them in a shape of a missle or did they just come out that way?"

etc etc

Eventually the party will get the clue that fighting isn't the way to beat this encounter.

DiamondB

Explorer
Kormydigar said:
There is no reason you could not use a ghost. It does not have to be a "by the book" type of ghost however. Maybe this ghost is immune to all types of attack or turning but does not truly harm anyone either. In this case, the the only way to stop the haunting is to figure out what the ghost needs to rest in peace and make that happen. This way attacking first will have no real consequences for the party. They will have to gain the trust of the ghost, enough for it to let them know what it needs.

This is a really good idea. I think I may give this a shot. It has the additional bonus of directing the party off on another quest to release the ghost. The idea of a sarcastic ghost is also a rather entertaining thought.

Remove ads