• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encoutner Quick Reference - Suggestions & Feedback

kingworks

Explorer
First attempt to make an Encounter Quick Reference template to help plan and run combat encounters. Need some suggestions on the best use of space at the bottom:

Feel free to reply here or leave a comment on my blog.

Many thanks!

Alex319

First Post
One major thing that's missing - the attacks and powers! At least put the basic attack (or main attack power) of each monster there for quick reference.

To make room for that you could have each monster entry be two lines. It's unlikely you'll have more than 5 different types of monsters in the same encounter.

kingworks

Explorer
One major thing that's missing - the attacks and powers! At least put the basic attack (or main attack power) of each monster there for quick reference.

To make room for that you could have each monster entry be two lines. It's unlikely you'll have more than 5 different types of monsters in the same encounter.
Thanks for your suggestion!

Attacks and powers are so many and varied, with a variety of different effects - Do you think that perhaps that information would be better suited to the Monster Card Template? I see this more as a tool for planning the overall encounter and being able to quickly compare the defenses and/or attributes that might enhance or break it.

Either way, I'll certainly keep that in mind.

keterys

First Post
I suspect such a thing would be most useful if you could use it not only for building encounters, but also for tracking things in combat, which would necessitate some clear way to have notes for conditions and such potentially, but most importantly make HP need to be a more promiment and easy to alter area.

Another possible route would be tracking information you can give players with knowledge skills, like at least which skill(s) and the base DC, but I'd probably build things a bit different if that's what i was going for.

I suspect resists would be more useful than subrole or keywords, fwiw.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads