• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encoutner vs. Daily Powers

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

I just wonder about the use of encounter vs. dails powers.

Right from the beginning I must admit that I like this concept. The idea to use once per battle a power in the hope to turn the tides of combat.

And on the other hand if it realy gets hard to exhaust all your efforts and use a daily power (excuse the flavor text ;) ).

But now I think at my gaming group and see that we only have one battle encounter per evening.
Yeah, a combat encounter is cool, but too many an evening slow the story down.

So with that in mind: Am I forced to present at least two combat encounters per evening to really distinguish between encounter and daily powers?
On the other hand it would go like: encounter power, daily power...now this encounter was sweet - when do the tough monsters show up?

Any comments?

Cheers, Evil DM.

DClown

First Post
If by one encounter per evening you mean one encounter per session, then thats fine, your characters do a lot of talking during short rest periods. If instead you mean one per in-game-day then thats something altogether different. 4e was balanced with multiple encounters between extended rests being the norm. Are you forced to do more? No of course not. Will the system play a little wonky because you are doing way fewer encounters then the designers intended? Yes. Its possible that 4e may not be the right system for your group. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying its possible. 4e has a great tactical combat system, an out of the box broken skill challenge system, and a hand wavy attitude towards anything that doesn't involve combat. If you are pretty set on one major encounter per session ( which is a completely understandable and valid way to play ) then you might want to put some consequence on the usage of daily powers, or have out of combat consequences for using a daily power. Maybe the character is so worn out that they can only make basic attacks the turn after they use a daily, or they take a -2 on all skill checks after using a daily until they can rest ( although thats really just adding insult to injury with the skill challenge system ).

Evil DM

First Post
Well okay,

I really mean one battle per session. ;)

I like the system of the maneuvers from the ToM. They were somehow encounter powers, which where - let's call it - recharable.

Like your suggestion for the fix of the daily powers in my campaign: Only being able to take a standart action after the use of a daily power!

Thanks for your comment, I will think about it.

Cheers, Evil DM.

Mezzer

First Post
Yeah, 4E is geared for several encounters in a session, and aims to get you more bang for your buck, so to speak. The milestone mechanic is there to encourage multiple encounters, and the whole concept if encounter powers does that quite assertively as well.

If you're looking to have only one combat encounter per session, make sure its at least 2 levels higher than the party, depending on the situation. If you're having combat that rarely, might as well might it climactic.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
But now I think at my gaming group and see that we only have one battle encounter per evening.

So? Extended rest and adventuring days do not have to coincide with sessions.

At the pace my group plays, it typically takes two session to go through one adventuring day and get to the extended rest.

You just note how much ressources have been extended and resume where you left at the next time you get together.

Last edited:

Ahglock

First Post
I personally think they should of just had at wills and per encounter powers and not put in per day ones. It is actually very counterintuitive to one of the goals of fixing the novaing problem of 3e. You still can nova in 4e, you use your dailies and a bunch of healing surges, you then fall back and rest.

It might be a bit harder to fall back since the travel powers are not as effective, but anyone who was manipulating this in 3e will likely do the same in 4e.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Ahglock said:
I personally think they should of just had at wills and per encounter powers and not put in per day ones. It is actually very counterintuitive to one of the goals of fixing the novaing problem of 3e. You still can nova in 4e, you use your dailies and a bunch of healing surges, you then fall back and rest.

It might be a bit harder to fall back since the travel powers are not as effective, but anyone who was manipulating this in 3e will likely do the same in 4e.

My scenarios don't allow for 15 minutes daywork, typically. Either there is an incentive to move fast, or the bad guys will hunt you down if you retreat, but I want none of that 1 fight a day crap.

In 3e, I didn't want to indulge the 15 minutes day work either but I pretty much had to let my PCs rest and not harass them after every tough fights, otherwise TPK. The alternative was to have easy fights first in order to soften them up, but those fights were boring. In 4e I can keep at them for about 4 combat a day, ranging from challenging to very tough. It's great from a storytelling POV.

Evil DM

First Post
In 4e I can keep at them for about 4 combat a day, ranging from challenging to very tough. It's great from a storytelling POV.

That's what I thought when people say that 4th Edition speeds up combat.

One primary point that I get used to only one (maybe) climatic fight was because the combats took a lot of time.
If combat works faster in 4th edition I can use more of them.
If....according to some threads here. ;)

I will see myself.

Thank you folks!

Cheers, Evil DM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads