Encumbrance, Item Weights

Dimwhit

Explorer
Anyone know how much a potion weighs? Or, worded differently, how many potions would it take to weigh 1 pound? How about wands, scrolls, rings, etc?

Croaker

First Post
Potions are usually 1 liquid ounce, plus the weight of the container, so they would weigh the same as a vial of ink, which is "no weight worth noting" according to p. 108 of the PHB. Same thing with rings and scrolls (signet ring and paper are both listed on the same page). Under the description of wands on p. 206 of the DMG, they are noted as weighing "under one ounce".

If it starts getting ridiculous, just fall back on the standard 10=1 pound, but for the most part you can ignore the encumbrance of such tiny items. If someone has so many potions that weight becomes an issue, they likely have a bigger problem of keeping track of which one does what.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
According to the DMG pg 190, a potion bottle contains 1 oz. of liquid and ~32 oz. = 1 lb., so close to 32 potions equals a pound.

The weight of these items is negligible, and should not be counted. Rings weigh close to nothing, and a scroll is just paper so again, the weight is negligible.

Astlin

First Post
Croaker said:
If someone has so many potions that weight becomes an issue, they likely have a bigger problem of keeping track of which one does what.

Heward's Handy Haversack the pack-rats best friend. :D

Astlin

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
Ok going out on a limb here:D If a potion or oil is only 1 oz do we realize how little that is? No more I take a sip since that would be about 1/2 the potion! As a DM I like this since I don't want my players sitting around like wine coniesurs<sp> taking in the new batch of Chateau Nelmeyer CLW 591CY batch:rolleyes: If you find a potion you better get it identified before consuming, unless you really are heroic:p I now reliquence this highjacked thread:eek:

Dimwhit

Explorer
Thanks all. Makes good sense. My character hangs on to party treasure (he's a Rogue, no less - not a smart party), and they accumulate a large number of potions. So I just wanted to know if I, at any point, needed to keep track of their weight.

On the line of identifying potions: what kind of idiot brews a potion and doesn't label it? I've never figured that out.

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
Well Dimwhit,

That's where you get the party to buy from the same source
:D A potion-maker knows that his CMW potion tastes like almonds(per DMG pg190) and he would comunicate that fact to those who purchase the potions. That's where I agree with the DMG, however, you must use alchemy or identify spell to determine what the potion is otherwise, NO SIPPING D&^%IT! One way to bleed that cash from players. Of course your free to gulp down a potion tell the party what it tastes like, feels like etc. Then if they put a potion up to their lips and wet slightly their lips they can tell if it's something they PERSONALLY have drank before. But anyway I'm ramblin' :rolleyes:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I never even played in a campaign where they bothered with encumberance rules. As long as they don't want to loot that 10-feet-tall statue of lathander made from pure gold, they can usually carry it. Or if they want to take that fire giants hammer with them (I actually did that, but I have STR 26 and can drag around an adult dragon :D. The damn hammer didn't fit into our portable hole)

Remove ads