• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ending the Campaign

Cmarco

First Post
Hello all,
So, here's my situation: I'm looking to finish out my campaign so I can start fresh when 4e comes out. I am looking to work out an adventure somewhat like "Die, Vecna, Die!" or "The Apocalypse Stone"... stuff that will allow me to transition between editions. I want the campaign to go out with a bang, and I was hoping to get some suggestions.

Here's what we know for sure:

- This campaign's slipperiest villain is still at large. He's a very powerful wizard, and has been evading most direct confrontation with the PCs since 2nd Edition, but is a major string-puller within the setting. I figure it would be a good idea to finally allow them to confront him.

- The setting's Gandalf/Elminster/Merlin is going to be removed from active circulation throughout the course of the adventure. He might not be killed, but he'll out for the count. This requires the heroes to be proactive, rather than waiting for the cavalry to do their thing.

So, anyone have any thoughts here?

Last edited:

Pick up the book Elder Evils which was just released... oh, less than six months ago by WotC and written by all-around RPG superman Rob Schwalb. It comes with no less than nine campaign ending scenarios for you to choose from.

SiderisAnon

First Post
My suggestion: The party and the BBEG race to collect the pieces of the McGuffin. The winner can save the world or destroy it and remake it in their own image. If the PCs win, give them the option of remaking the world or destroying the McGuffin. If the BBEG wins, he makes the 4th ed world.

Not real specific, but could be an interesting ending ... especially if you have the kind of group where one or more party member wouldn't be able to resist just making a "few" changes to the reality of the world to make it "better".

Fenes

First Post
Cmarco said:
Great suggestions everyone! You've given me a lot of interesting ideas to work with. Keep them coming!

Ragnarok. The characters end up fighting in the last battle of the world, at the side of their gods. (Advantage: can be done even after an accidental "non-cinematic" TPK.)

SpydersWebbing

First Post
You could have it to where it's not one guy at all, but a race of immortals who have very sucessfully screwed everyone over, but that depends on what you've been doing in your campaign so far.

Too farfetched? I dunno.

Cmarco

First Post
cr0m said:
What level are your PCs?

Once we finish the current dungeon, they'll all be about 10th level. I was figuring that by the time the transition to 4e story-arc is finished, they'll be in the low-epic range, and we'll wrap it up.

SiderisAnon

First Post
Just a thought: If you want to go out with a bang and you have the kinds of players who really like power, do something like give them a level a week or a level at each stopping point of whatever. Let them really use up whatever 3.5 stuff they have before going on to 4.0.

You'll have to increase adventure power levels quickly, but if you really want to go out with a big bang...

This will also give the PCs a chance to retire as powerful folk.

Remove ads