• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enemies With Magical Weapons

legiondevil

First Post
In several encounters in the published modules (Thunderspire, Demon Queen's Enclave), enemies are carrying magical weapons that are listed in their "inventory" and whose bonuses are typically factored into the attack line.

However, while the end villain in Demon Queen's Enclave has the weapon (And I'm being vague here, intentionally) his damage line on his attack with it is 2d8+5, and not the 1d8+10 that it would typically be (+11 if it is "happy" with him).

My question is, is this intentional, or was it an oversight? Do those of you running the modules adjust the damage and possible tactics of the enemies to fit the weapons they are using if the weapons capabilities aren't listed, or do you run them as listed in the enemies stat block?

Also, do you only maximize when an enemy with a magical weapon scores a critical hit, or roll the additional dice like a PC when they score one? I, myself, do the latter and roll the d6's (or whatever) but I find it interesting that this isn't listed in the weapon damage line like it is with High Crit weapons.

Starglim

Explorer
To put it another way, monsters of higher level are assumed to have bonuses to attacks, damage and defences above those for their ability scores and level already factored into their statistics. These bonuses might come from magic items, racial traits, feats, classes, unique abilities - the designer need not identify or adjust for any of these (except for flavour reasons), just the monster's appropriate capabilities as an encounter.

edit: However, if a monster has a magic item significantly more powerful than it would be expected to have by level, it may benefit: see DMG page 174.

Last edited:

Monsters have a magic item "threshold" which limits the benefits they get out of a magic item. Those limits are listed in the DMG. There's another limit (similar but not identical) for classed NPCs.

legiondevil

First Post
Hmm. Interesting on all three mentions.

What about critical hits with magic items, then? Am I the only one that does them as PC's would, or is that a standard?

I think you follow all the rules of a magic item when given to a monster, except where exceptions lie (eg the threshold). So yeah, add on the bonus crit damage.

CapnZapp

Legend
Monsters have a magic item "threshold" which limits the benefits they get out of a magic item. Those limits are listed in the DMG. There's another limit (similar but not identical) for classed NPCs.
The "Monster Magic Threshold" table (p174) is identical to the Magic Threshold column of the "NPC Level Bonus and Magic Threshold" table (p187).

By the way, no actual table is really needed - in both instances, the simple formula Threshold = (Level - 1) / 5; round down is followed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads