• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enemy in the square of a unconscious pc

Legildur

First Post
There is no clear RAW answer to this situation (or a range of others, like if you bull rush someone into another creature).

Some of the house-rules I've seen articulated on these boards include applying squeezing penalties, forcing one opponent to leave the square in a direction of their choice (on their action), forced grappling, and others.

frankthedm

First Post
styker said:
What happens when a enemy is in the square of a unconscious pc and someone cures the pcs making him conscious again?
The PC, upon becoming non-helpless has his miniature placed, still prone, in the nearest legal space. Whether this changing of position draws an AoO, depends on how the DM rules other changes of position not explicitly called out as movement; see Awesome Blow and Telekinesis's Violent Thrust option.

Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space said:
Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.

Rvdvelden

First Post
Straight from the FAQ (if you value the information it contains):

In a combat, Bob the fighter is unconscious from wounds, and Grog the orc moves into Bob’s square. A friendly cleric heals Bob so that Bob regains consciousness. So the orc and prone Bob are now occupying the same square. Now what happens? The rules say that Bob and Grog can’t be in the same square, right? So, what happens? Is Grog somehow prevented from entering Bob’s square? Does Grog have to leave when Bob wakes up?

You can enter another creature’s square and even stop there if the creature is helpless, or if that creature is much bigger or smaller than you are (see Moving Through a Square in Chapter 8 of the Player’s Handbook).
Assume that Bob is prone (no rule says you’re prone when you lose consciousness, but common sense demands that it be so), and that he can remain in Grog’s square so long as he
remains prone. If he gets up, he must leave Grog’s square first, which provokes an attack of opportunity from Grog.

irdeggman

First Post
I like the FAQ ruling - but standing up also generates an AoO so the prone figure will end up generating 2 AoO to stand up and move out of the square.

Infiniti2000

First Post
irdeggman said:
I like the FAQ ruling - but standing up also generates an AoO so the prone figure will end up generating 2 AoO to stand up and move out of the square.
Unless he stands up with a DC 35 tumble check and takes a 5ft-step, thus causing no AoO.

I would allow the two to stay in the same square, but the one on the ground cannot take combat actions (i.e. std. actions) of any consequence, except to grapple the other creature in the square. He could also crawl out but cannot stand up unless grappling his opponent.

Frank's quote is close by RAW, but is not actually correct because no one ended their movement in the square.

irdeggman

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Unless he stands up with a DC 35 tumble check and takes a 5ft-step, thus causing no AoO.

Complete Adventurer pg 103 states that use of this skill still generates an AoO as normal - it only makes standing up a free action instead of a move action. The 5 ft step part is stil correct though.

Branduil

Hero
If I'm prone on the ground and an Orc is standing above me I should be able to strike his little orclings for massive damage pretty easily.

Legildur

First Post
Branduil said:
If I'm prone on the ground and an Orc is standing above me I should be able to strike his little orclings for massive damage pretty easily.
Hehehehehehehe. If I could be bothered, I'd throw that in my sig...

Phlebas

First Post
Branduil said:

Rules wise could you do that as an attack from prone, or would you have to grapple first (since you're in the same square!), again from prone and then attack with light weapon....

Remove ads