• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Energy Charge Supernatural Ability from MM III: This Goes Where?!

saucercrab

Explorer
Over on the Wizards boards, a poster mentioned this ability from the glossary in MM III, page 211. However, no one can find out what monster has this ability.

Does anyone know where this comes from? I can post a short description if need be, but I'm not sure how much I can post before I get a cease & desist order... ;)

saucercrab

Explorer
Huh, guess neither the Wizards board nor myself had considered googling it. :eek:

It would be a neat to use a summon monster spell (maybe VIII?) to summon an amnid, & have it energy charge the party. Do it every morning for an effective boost.

Pinotage

Explorer
saucercrab said:
Huh, guess neither the Wizards board nor myself had considered googling it. :eek:

It would be a neat to use a summon monster spell (maybe VIII?) to summon an amnid, & have it energy charge the party. Do it every morning for an effective boost.

And probably broken as well. :)

Pinotage

Shallown

First Post
Broken only due to duration if the duration were say 1 hour it might not be as broken. Though I can think of some abuses even then.

Later

saucercrab

Explorer
Pinotage said:
And probably broken as well. :)

Pinotage
Luckily for most DMs, the amnid isn't on any summon monster list (let alone the amnid being an unofficial monster anyway), so they can easily say no.

But extra effective levels would be soooo neat: protection versus holy word & its variations, increased spellcaster levels, extra spell slots, etc. :]

Pinotage

Explorer
saucercrab said:
Luckily for most DMs, the amnid isn't on any summon monster list (let alone the amnid being an unofficial monster anyway), so they can easily say no.

But extra effective levels would be soooo neat: protection versus holy word & its variations, increased spellcaster levels, extra spell slots, etc. :]

It would be kind of neat to simply have something that increases your effective HD against spell effects, but you do not gain any benefits of said HD. Kind of like a familiar being treated as its master's HD. So drink a potion, and you're treated as 4 HD more for the purposes of effects related to HD. Nice against Holy Word.

Pinotage

saucercrab

Explorer
Pinotage said:
It would be kind of neat to simply have something that increases your effective HD against spell effects, but you do not gain any benefits of said HD. Kind of like a familiar being treated as its master's HD. So drink a potion, and you're treated as 4 HD more for the purposes of effects related to HD. Nice against Holy Word.

Pinotage
Yeah, that would be pretty neat, but don't potions have to duplicate actual spells?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads