Engineering while brown/non-Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's completely impractical. There are cases in which police have interviewed and/or searched the cars & dwellings of more suspects than there are policemen in the force.

Cops are human. They can and do make mistakes.

Yah. The issue isn't that the cops got involved, and asked some questions. The issue is that once they *knew* it wasn't a bomb (or they'd have called the bomb squad), they doubled-down and continued, rather than just go, "Guys, the kid make a *clock*. Really, Principle Mushhead, you called me in for a *clock*?"

The ACLU is aware of the case. I hope the school and cops will wise up, offer an apology, and let it go.

Meanwhile, that distant sound you heard was of a budding engineer having his soul squashed.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Which is where my feelings on most police searches/questioning comes in.

A cop should act like he will be caught and dispossed or executed if he fingers the wrong suspect. .

That is an extreme position and Police do need some room to make mistake and have their suspicion disproven. But thats not really the issue here. The issue is that even when making fair investigations police need to respect the suspects rights and a 14 year old child has the right to have a caregiver with them when they are questioned.

Who ever denied this kid the phone call to his father should be booted,

The whole police/justice system of the US seems to have gone into complete overkill on everything and its truely horrible when enthusiatics kids are mistreated by "the system" because them happen to have a foreign name often associated with terrorist.
I think the school did okay, I can appreciate an English teacher being ignorant, but you'd think the Principal would have called in the engineering teacher. Once it got to the Police it should of stopped after Ahmed said "it's a clock" and the police confirmed "ah yep its not a bomb"

I suppose that the good outcome as the he's got the attention of the Whitehouse, Zuckerberg and NASA

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, this is cool. The President has spoken, and to my mind it gives a simple statement to all the other authorities involved what's going to happen here:

"Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great."

https://twitter.com/potus/status/644193755814342656

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...you'd think the Principal would have called in the engineering teacher.

MacArthur High is a big- but not necessarily rich- public school. I would not be surprised to find the closest thing they had to an engineer was a shop or physics teacher.

Janx

Hero
That is an extreme position and Police do need some room to make mistake and have their suspicion disproven. But thats not really the issue here. The issue is that even when making fair investigations police need to respect the suspects rights and a 14 year old child has the right to have a caregiver with them when they are questioned.

I did say it was extreme.

The point is, if more cops acted like bad things would happen to them if they screwed up, they would be more cautious and circumspect before taking things to far.

That doesn't mean bad things have to happen, or there isn't room for mistakes. But too many cops just act like its no big deal if they screw up. Cop screw ups cost other people morale, time, money, reputation. If they'd have thought of the crapstorm that has started because of this BEFORE they jacked with a kid, maybe the whole thing wouldn't have happened.

was

Adventurer
...There have been a lot of ridiculous weapons charges popping up in schools across the country. Anything that can be remotely construed as a weapon, or a mock weapon, runs afoul of very poorly constructed "zero-tolerance" policies.

...Many people place the full blame upon teachers and principals. These ''zero-tolerance" policies, however, are usually very detailed, allowing school staff little to no leeway in dealing with these incidents. Teachers and principals face immediate termination if they fail to strictly adhere to the policies as set forth by local school boards.

...These boards, often staffed by clergy, businessmen and aspiring politicians, have their own thoughts on how such incidents should be handled. After they are run through the district's legal staff, these policies are then presented to educators who are required to follow them to the letter. Changing poorly-constructed directives requires holding elected officials accountable for the policies they create. Verbally attacking the school staff who are required to enforce them will not result in any positive changes.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, at least the school sent out a written apology.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9337857/ahmed-mohamed-texas-school-district-letter

Oh, wait...

Ummm...

At least the police gave a good reason for the arrest!
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/16/9339427/ahmed-arrest-irving-police

DAMN!

Back in 198-freakin'-5, I took a trip to Europe, with my first-ever Sony Walkman. Not knowing what it was, the airport security guard ask me to demonstrate that it was a working device. She got to hear a few seconds of Andreas Wolleneider's Caverna Magica.

Could the police not have asked the kid to demonstrate the clockiness on his clock before they hauled him off to jail under the threat of being charged with "possessing a hoax device"?

Post facepalm meme pix now.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads