• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enhancement bonuses

LiL KiNG

First Post
If you have a magic item with a +4 enhancement bonus to Str, does the spell Bull's Strength which also grant an enhancement bonus not benefit you at all?

Are there any magic items that offer a Str bonus using something other than enhancement? Like a sacred bonus or something?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Enhancement Bonus SRD.

"Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies."

-Anything that increases your size will increase strength, which would not be an "enhancement" bonus.

-Manual Of Gainful Exercise is an "Inherent" bonus and therefore stacks.

-Rage Spell gives a morale bonus to STR.

Edit: This Thread seems to be discussing ways to stack Strength.

Last edited:

LiL KiNG

First Post
Thanks for the replies, was pretty sure it would work out that way - was just surprised the spell is pretty much wasted.

Already a large sized creature and one of the DM rules limits PCs to large or smaller, once in play I can still be effected by enlarge person, but that for some reason only gives you a +2 str (with misc penalties).

The rage spell seems like a good option, rather expensive for a permanent magic item though. The manual is another good option, but str is at an even number now and too broke to afford the +2 manual.

Was reading that thread earlier, but weren't any easily implementable options in it.

Empirate

First Post
More Strength: play a Goliath (+4) Barbarian (+4 from Rage/Whirling Frenzy) with Animal Devotion (+4, 1min/day). Or just be on the safe side and play a Cleric for Divine Power and Righteous Might...

Aluvial

Explorer
I used the Stonechild racial class from Races of Stone (6 total levels). I think that if you worked it into the story then adding it as a class would be fine... Of course, it has a very low BAB, but that hardly matters with the STR gain.

kingius

First Post
While 3.5 doesn't really work this way, I think it would be interesting if only one bonus from anything could ever apply. That's probably not very clear, but imagine if the size bonus to strength does not stack with the strength bonus from a spell, things would be a lot simpler for everyone at the table.

It would mean that a +1 weapon really wouldn't benefit anyone that already has a +1 to hit (except, possibly to damage), a +1 base attack bonus would be lost to a +2 strength bonus (strength beating skill until higher levels when the skillful use of the weapon can outperform a straight out strong attack) and so on. The game would of course be completely different with many magical weapons with a straight + (e.g. dagger + 2) of no use to most heroes especially as they go up levels, but something like a flametongue sword would be. Magic weapons would have to be a lot more than just a + to be any good.

Remove ads