• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enhancing a magical item?

Joust

First Post
Maybe I'm missing this in the phb/dmg, but is it possible, using the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat, to enhance an already magical weapon/armor (e.g. make a +1 weapon a +2 weapon)? I understand the rules for making a weapon magical "from scratch", but what about a weapon or armor that is already magical? If it is possible, what is the mechanic? A page # or reference would be helpful.

Thanks for your input. This question is 3.0 based since I haven't yet invested in 3.5.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Joust said:
Maybe I'm missing this in the phb/dmg, but is it possible, using the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat, to enhance an already magical weapon/armor (e.g. make a +1 weapon a +2 weapon)? I understand the rules for making a weapon magical "from scratch", but what about a weapon or armor that is already magical? If it is possible, what is the mechanic? A page # or reference would be helpful.

Thanks for your input. This question is 3.0 based since I haven't yet invested in 3.5.
I don't have any page numbers for you, but I do know the mechanic. Magical items can be improved. You need to have all the prerequisites for the final item. Then you simply take the price of the final item, subtract the price of the original item, and the difference is what it costs in gp and xp to upgrade the item.

Joust

First Post
That's the mechanic I came up with also, but I just don't know if it's officially been outlined in a rule book. Thanks for your input.

dcollins

Explorer
Yes, 3.0 DMG p. 246, "Adding New Abilities". You'll pay the difference in price/XP between the old item value and the new one.

Cedric

First Post
The really confusing part is when you want to add extra non-related abilities to an item.

When you take a Cloak of Charisma +4 and make it a Cloak of Charisma +6 it is very straight forward, like just people mentioned above. Subtract the higher price from the lower price, pay the difference.

Like, when you want to take a Cloak of Charisma +6 and add the Cloak of Resistance +5 abilities to it. Then it gets irritatingly expensive (for good reason). Here's the text from the 3.0 SRD.

A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical.
If the item is one that takes up a specific space on a character, any additional power added to that item doubles the cost.

So that means you take your Cloak of Resistance +5, double the cost and subtract the cost of a Cloak of Charisma +6 and that's your price.

There's some other statement in the book that makes it even more confusing, but I don't have the book on hand right now.

Cedric

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Cedric said:
So that means you take your Cloak of Resistance +5, double the cost and subtract the cost of a Cloak of Charisma +6 and that's your price.
Yes, though I find it easier just to figure out the full price for Before and After.

Before= Cloak of Charisma +6 (Find price in DMG)

After= Cloak of Charismatic Defense (Charisma +6, Resistance to saves +5) (Figure price by taking Cloak of Charisma +6, then adding Cloak of Resistance +5, doubled because it's slotless).

After - Before = Price of Upgrade

Sure, you can work it out without going through the extra calculations, but I find that doing it the long way keeps it from being confusing for me. :)

Remove ads