• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enhancing Castles & Crusades with 3.5E feats

Waylander

The Slayer
I've been daydreaming about starting up a new campaign after bringing our current one to a close based on C&C. I've been musing about something simpler but possibly not quite as simple as C&C (although it's close).

I was just wondering what experience people have had of using the basic rules from C&C but then overlaying the feat system from D&D3.5E. I guess I'm initially thinking of this as not so much integrating feats within classes so much as giving every character two feats at first level plus one additional feat per two levels (i.e. a every odd level thereafter).

Treebore

First Post
I've been daydreaming about starting up a new campaign after bringing our current one to a close based on C&C. I've been musing about something simpler but possibly not quite as simple as C&C (although it's close).

I was just wondering what experience people have had of using the basic rules from C&C but then overlaying the feat system from D&D3.5E. I guess I'm initially thinking of this as not so much integrating feats within classes so much as giving every character two feats at first level plus one additional feat per two levels (i.e. a every odd level thereafter).

First off I need to ask if you have looked at my house rules and how I use the SIEGE system to completely replace feats?

Second, yes, people have added feats into their games, on a limited basis.

However, why would a player want to restrict themselves to a fixed list of feats? I much rather be able to try and do any of them with a SIEGE check.
Hence my house rules.

Waylander

The Slayer
Hi Treebore!

Thank you for your reply - I haven't seen your house rules; please could you provide a link?

At face value I can't see how the SEIGE engine can replicate feats but I'm willing to be enlightened :)

Treebore

First Post
Its easy. You use the HD of the opponent against whom you wish as the CL to add to the TN of 12, roll, if you make it you get the bonus or perform the maneuver with your next attack. No, this check does not count against any actions you can take in a round, so its like a "Free Action" in 3E terms.

Spellcasters are similar, spell level +0 or +3 for the CL, base TN of 12. For fireball I make it CL=spell level +0 when they want to change it into a ice ball, acid ball, etc... If they want to double its AoE I make it CL=Spell Level +3. If they need to extend the range, same thing.

Basically I just look at the spell level and add either a 0 or a 3 to determine final CL.

Failed checks on spells mean loss of spell.

I don't worry about pre reqs, the CL adjustments have been effective enough.

Waylander

The Slayer
Hi Treebore - looks simple enough to implement - thanks for posting :)

I'd still be interested in seeing any other views of a more direct use of 3.xE feats . . .

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Hi Treebore - looks simple enough to implement - thanks for posting :)

I'd still be interested in seeing any other views of a more direct use of 3.xE feats . . .

The other uses have been simple. They typically just use them as additional class skills gained at level "X". I have seen a few who made a list, short list, of maybe a dozen feats that they are willing to allow their players to select from.

They usually just have a attribute and level requirement, and thats it.

If you want to ask more directly go to the Troll Lord website and click on Forum in the upper right of the "bar" and then register/join the forums and ask in the rules/chaos forum. Be careful not to post in the forum dedicated to official rules questions, only moderators can answer there. You'll probably get a half dozen or so responses within hours.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Troll Lord forums are pretty much the most hospitable place on the 'net, too!

I haven't been active their as of late (with the silliness of Castle Zagyg no longer being with the Trolls), but I used to lurk their a lot. And there's so much info for C&C house rules that it's kind of insane, in an awesome way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads