• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enlarge and item values

Croaker

First Post
A particularly underhanded wizard in my campaign has hit upon the idea of using Enlarge on treasures before selling. Combined with Change Self, he has come up with a pretty good scam. My concern is how a gem's value scales with weight. While it would be easiest to just apply the increase in size as a multiplier, I don't think this the best approach. What would the relative prices be for a 2 carat diamond versus a 3 carat? 10 carats versus 15 carats? It would be a shame if I had to throw away my subplot of eventually getting caught in the scam after a string of successes.

Also, while magically summoned or created objects are not usable for spell components, what about magically altered ones? Could you Enlarge a 12 ounce bag of silver dust to cast a Magic Circle Against Evil? Enlarge a diamond to cast a Raise Dead?

dcollins

Explorer
Here's what I'd rule for this issue. I'd basically allow this as a legitimate tactic for gems, and pretty much only gems -- and scale the value by the size multiplier, just to make things simple.

Other treasures would obviously look wrong to the buyer. Coins aren't per legal currency, jewelry and art is too big for a human to wear, etc.

Material would not become more valuable or extensive for the purposes of spells. Presumably magic must work on some more fundamental structure that is not altered by mere enlargement. (It "just knows", so-to-speak.)

Vaxalon

First Post
Anyone who deals regularly in high-value treasure probably has an antimagic field to do business in, and some big burly guys nearby to do serious damage to anyone who walks into said antimagic field and suddenly changes appearance.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I think Antimagic Field is perhaps a bit much, as a 6th level spell.

(Certain people might have it, certainly, but not every well-to-do merchant.)

However, something that provides Detect Magic - a cantrip - is not an unlikely tool-of-the-trade. Detecting Enlarge, Illusions, Major Creation, and the like would seem simply a standard security measure, like metal detectors in airports today.

-Hyp.

Vaxalon

First Post
Vaxalon said:
Anyone who deals regularly in high-value treasure ....

Originally posted by JRocket
Everyone has an antimagic field ...

The cost of an antimagical room, one space in size, according to the Stronghold Builder's Guide, is 66,000 gp. This may seem like a lot, but for someone who deals in high-value treasure, especially magic items, it would be a necessity. It's just too easy to cheat with magic below that level.

A "detect magic" won't help you when the sorceror casts a stilled, silenced charm person on you.

geezerjoe

First Post
Think about this also ...

If this scam begins to get out of hand, officials may resort to some non-magic means of resolution.

For example:
Persons desiring trade in a community must then bring all goods of suspect to a central authority and gain a writ or license to sell the item after the officials have held the item for some time ... usually 2 or 3 times longer than the standard duration of the spells typically used in the scam. Simple clean and efficient. The community would also be highly suspect of trading with anyone that they haven't dealed with in the past.

Of course central authorities might commission the construction of many wands of detect magic or hire adepts to distribute to the various communities until the villan is caught.

Just some ideas,

Joe Too Old

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads