• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enlarge Magic Item

Targos

First Post
I was curious if anybody has used/create an enlarging magic item and how it was priced. The biggest factor I've had trouble dealing with is the base damage increase and I'm questioning whether it was priced too low.

laughingbuhda

First Post
**From a previous thread and respondent, not me**

Complete Adventurer (p 127)

Sizing: The wielder of a sizing weapon can change the weapon's size catgory to any other size category as a standard action. Spellcasters who frequently polymorph themselves appreciate weapons with the sizing special ability. (+1 bonus)

You may also want to consider a variant of the Wild enhancement from the DMG that, instead of working for wildshape, works for lycanthropy shapechange.

**was in the thread morphing equipment on page two** there are some different items in the CA that change sizes as well.

Targos

First Post
I'm referring to a ring of enlarge person moreso than shapechanging. Fighters & monks find it attractive for the base damage increase.

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
Edit: misunderstood the question the first time through.

So you want an unlimited use Command word ring of Enlarge Person?

By the guidelines, that's, what, Spell Level 1 x caster level 1 x 2,000 gp for a continuous or command word item, x2 for a duration of minutes/level ... it's a transformation, so the affinity is for cloak/cape/mantle; as a ring, it's thus off-slot and needs the x1.5; so 2000 gp for spell, x2 for duration in minutes/level, x1.5 for off-slot -> 2,000 x 2.5 -> 5,000 gp, 4,000 gp for a cape/cloak/or mantle (arguments could be made for robe, shirt, bracers, gauntlets, or belt, as well) - maybe.... also maybe push it up to caster level 3, which would triple the price to 12,000 for on-slot, 15,000 for off-slot (or CL 5, for 20,000/25,000).

Comparing to similar items... well, let's see.... that's +2 strength (4,000 gp right there), but -2 Dex (what's that worth, I wonder? -4,000?), -1 AC (in addtion to the loss of AC due to dex; what's that worth?), -1 to hit (although the Str jump cancels this - exactly - for a meleer), extra reach, and extra damage. The damage increase due to going up a size category is roughly +50% (not counting str boost) (see table below)

What's that worth? Well, the Monk's belt increases a monk's unarmed strike damage by a similar amount, but also increases AC, at 13,000. If you assume that the monk's AC boost corresponds to the reach benefit of the size increase of the Ring of Growth, that the AC loss from the Ring of Growth doesn't much matter, and that the Str increase balances the Dex decrease, then you are justified at pricing the Ring of Growth the same as a Monk's belt (13,000 gp, by SRD).

Pre and post from the Improving Monsters section of the SRD; averages calculated by me
Code:
Pre	Post	Avg Pre	Avg Post	% Avg Change
1d2	 1d3	1.5 	2		+33%
1d3 	1d4	2	2.5		+25%
1d4 	1d6	2.5	3.5		+40%
1d6 	1d8	3.5	4.5		+29%
1d8 	2d6	4.5	7		+56%
1d10 	2d8	5.5	9		+63%
2d6 	3d6	7	10.5		+50%
2d8 	3d8	9	13.5		+50%

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex