Enlarge person size increase not the same as MM size increases????

darthkilmor

First Post
the enlarge person spell says it increases size one catagory and gives a +2 size bonus to str, whereas in the MM for most size increases the size bonus is +8 to str. Why the difference?? +2 doesnt seem like alot for "doubling in height and weight increase by 8 times"

glass

(he, him)
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Because otherwise it would be too powerful.
That's basically it. However, if you need a way to justify it, you could say tha the enlarge spell provides the extra muscle, but the creature's body just isn't adapted to bring that much force to bear.

glass.

Targos

First Post
Because its a first level spell. Expansion [XPH] is similar. Righteous Might follows the MM size increase closer, but its 5th level. Animal Growth is close too and 5th level, but animals only of course. Giant Size is closer yet, but its more than one size category & level 7. Did I miss any?

dcollins

Explorer
darthkilmor said:
Enlarge person size increase not the same as MM size increases????

:) Keep in mind that almost nothing is the same as the MM size increases. Spells don't replicate them. Even the monsters-of-larger size in the MM (monstrous spiders, scorpions, animals-to-dire-animals, etc.) don't follow those progressions.

(Personally in my game I've rejected that table and make my advanced monsters do the same as other listed monsters, which is about the benefit claimed in that chart.)

Obviously the spell would be too powerful at 1st-level if it gave the MM size bonuses. IMO, it never should have been a 1st-level spell. I think it should have been about 5th-level, and affect any creature type (or personal range, in the case of the XPH version).

But wasn't Enlarge a 1st-level spell in 2e? I wouldn't expect a change there.

Remove ads