• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enlarged Dragon Breath

Tripgnosis

First Post
The feat states that when you use the Dragon Breath encounter power, that you can choose for it to be close blast 5 instead of 3. Considering the fact that all creatues are hit by the blast, not just your enemies, that's an important distinction that I had previously overlooked....

But now I wonder, does that mean you can choose for it to be a close blast 4 as well, opting for the median? I can't see why not, and it would only even matter in very specific situations, But I was just wondering if this had been definatively addressed yet. Or if anyone had any thoughts on why it shouldn't be used that way....

Mort_Q

First Post
could you explain your reasoning?

I guess I'm being territorial. Fine control of AoE powers is a controller thing.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, they don't get to reduce the size of their area powers 'cause they want to. Why should the Dragonborn be different?

Being able to exclude an ally from a Blast is very useful, and could easily save the Dragonborn or the allies a Move Action.

If the controllers can, then OK, if not, then too much.

Tale

First Post
I'd be siding with Mort Q. There's no precedent that I can think of for resizing blasts at whim beyond what is stated.

inati

First Post
"...you can choose to make it blast 5 instead of blast 3"

It does not say "or any variations inbetween" Either blast 3 or blast 5

Tripgnosis

First Post
I guess I'm being territorial. Fine control of AoE powers is a controller thing.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, they don't get to reduce the size of their area powers 'cause they want to. Why should the Dragonborn be different?

Being able to exclude an ally from a Blast is very useful, and could easily save the Dragonborn or the allies a Move Action.

If the controllers can, then OK, if not, then too much.

Well, my reasoning is that the feat already allows for the choice, blast 3 or blast 5. Adding blast 4 in the middle doesn't really change it much. But then again, maybe it does. Being able to go Blast 5 and get more enemies is offset by the fact that the blast is also big enough to likely catch some allies to. OR you can keep it at a safe 3. But maybe blast 4 is too accomodating (I know I spelled that wrong) Big enough to catch more enemies without being too big to leave your allies out of it.....

AverageTable

First Post
I asked myself this same question the other day. If you carefully read the description of the feat, however, the meaning is clear.

The feat states:

"When you use your dragon breath power, you can choose to make it blast 5 instead of blast 3."

So...

The feat states that when you use the Dragon Breath encounter power, that you can choose for it to be close blast 5 instead of 3. Considering the fact that all creatues are hit by the blast, not just your enemies, that's an important distinction that I had previously overlooked....

Correct. On a case-by-case basis a dragonborn with this feat can decided whether to make his dragon breath blast 3 or blast 5, adjusting as needed.

But now I wonder, does that mean you can choose for it to be a close blast 4 as well, opting for the median?

Nope.

It says you can "choose to make it blast 5 instead of blast 3". This wording means "one or the other".

It does not say you can "increase the size of the blast up to blast 5", or anything else that might mean "any size within this range".

The wording is quite clear: exactly blast 3 or exactly blast 5 only.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads