• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enlarged, Polymorphed and Dangerous...

MorganKiller

First Post
Since you can polymorph a creature into something one size bigger, what happens if you enlarge it first? In 3E an enlarged creature's height is multipled by 1.5 and his weight by 3.4, so a human can actually become Large-sized... What happens if a wizard decides to turn him into a Storm Giant (Huge)???

If this trick works, what happens when Enlarge wears off?

(39 Str and 15ft reach are damn useful in combat! :D )

Brekki

First Post
- in 3E, the enlarge spell doesn't change your size cathegory
- polymorph can't change you in a creature with >15 HD

Last edited:

Brekki

First Post
In 3.5 polymorph is based on alter self, and alter self has the limit that the new form must be "within one size category or your normal size".

Li Shenron

Legend
Li Shenron said:
I can't say from the SRD, but I think there could be a rule that size increase from different spells don't stack in 3.5.

Well, from the Enlarge Person description:

Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack

I think it is meant not only for spells against humanoids.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Actually, I'm not certain that the "multiple size increasing effects" applies to Polymorph since it's not primarily a size increasing spell. Unlike Enlarge or Righteous Might, etc. it doesn't actually increase the size of a character's current form. Instead, it gives the character a new form that may or may not be larger than the original.

That said, if you don't want enlarged polymorphed creatures running around, there is another angle to pursue:

Enlarge person only targets humanoids.

If a character polymorphs into a giant or other large creature, they are no longer a humanoid for the duration of that spell. Thus, after polymorphing, they are an invalid target for Enlarge Person. And, while they are a valid target before polymorphing, attempting to polymorph into a large, huge or gargantuan form would turn them into an invalid target which could arguably end the effect.

MorganKiller said:
Ok, then... I'm a bit relieved they can't stack these effects...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads