• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENnies Categories

Crothian

First Post
TerraDave said:
Catagories seem good...if WotC doesn't submit materials, they can only be voted for in the fan catagory (unless they are excluded)? Also, for non-d20 companies to be in, they must also submit to the judges for any but the fan catagory, right? (any chance of GURPs, Exalted, or WoD stuff getting to the judges, do they want to get all this stuff?)

Wizards can particpate this year. Any one who enters has to submit product and last year we did get Exalted books, WoD (old WoD since the new one wasn't out at the time), Hero, Feng Shui, Savage Worlds, and other product from publishers. It was a good showing, but we are hoping for even more particpation this year.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Dextra said:
6. Best Rules
-This is an award for the individual book containing the best (innovative, creative, workable) game design and mechanics (ie. "crunch").

Dextra said:
12. Best Supplement
-This is an award for a product which adds supplementary rules or details to the game. If under seven entries are received in this category, submissions will be considered for Best Rules or Best Writing as warranted.

These two sound two similiar. "supplementary rules" as opposed to game design and mechanics? I'm still not seeing what the real difference between the two is.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Crothian said:
It was a good showing, but we are hoping for even more particpation this year.

Well, ICE will be participating, that is for sure. And in more categories than it did last year! :D

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Crothian said:
Wizards can particpate this year. Any one who enters has to submit product and last year we did get Exalted books, WoD (old WoD since the new one wasn't out at the time), Hero, Feng Shui, Savage Worlds, and other product from publishers. It was a good showing, but we are hoping for even more particpation this year.

I look foward to seeing the nominations!! Thanks to the judges, who will have plenty to review...

Crothian

First Post
TerraDave said:
I look foward to seeing the nominations!! Thanks to the judges, who will have plenty to review...

Thanks, nominations though won't be till late July or Early August like last year I imagine. It would be nice to get it all done sooner but there are many facots in that.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Best Rules awards the product for the quality of the rules only. The Best Rules and Writing awards are among the awards set that recognize the varying factors that contribute to creating a good product (writing, rules, art, cartography, production values). The reasoning behind the addition of the Rules, Writing, and Production Values awards were that they, too, are contributing factors in the creation and quality of an excellent product and deserve equal recognition with art and cartography.

A product in this category could conceivably have the worst editing, art, prose, and production values, but have the coolest, innovative, most workable rules and get a nomination.

Best Supplementary Rules awards the product for not only the quality of the rules therein, but for all the other stuff that goes into a book.

The Best Electronic Product, Best Adventure, Best Campaign Setting/Setting Supplement, Best Supplement, Best Adversary/Monster Product, Best Game and Best d20 Game (and to some extent Best Aid or Accessory and Best Free Product or Web Enhancement) awards recognize the best products in a given genre. Chances are, if they're nominated for the genre awards, they'll also get a nod in the factors awards as well, but it's not a done deal.

JoeGKushner said:
These two sound two similiar. "supplementary rules" as opposed to game design and mechanics? I'm still not seeing what the real difference between the two is.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Dextra said:
Best Rules awards the product for the quality of the rules only. The Best Rules and Writing awards are among the awards set that recognize the varying factors that contribute to creating a good product (writing, rules, art, cartography, production values). The reasoning behind the addition of the Rules, Writing, and Production Values awards were that they, too, are contributing factors in the creation and quality of an excellent product and deserve equal recognition with art and cartography.

A product in this category could conceivably have the worst editing, art, prose, and production values, but have the coolest, innovative, most workable rules and get a nomination.

Best Supplementary Rules awards the product for not only the quality of the rules therein, but for all the other stuff that goes into a book.

I guess then I'm confused as to why we have "11. Best Campaign Setting/Setting Supplement -This is an award for a book particular to a campaign setting. If under seven entries are received in this category, submissions will be considered for Best Writing, Best Rules, or Best Supplement as warranted."

What type of suppelemnt is going to be the best at one faction and still get best overal supplement as opposed to best rules?

is it because of art? Already a category. Is it because of layout? Already a category. Is it because of rules? Already a category. Seems redundant. "All the other stuff" as you say, already have awards or should fall under the "Best Game" as opposed to best supplement.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
The Campaign Setting/Setting Supplement ended up as the result of combining the two campaign-specific categories. It's there as a separate category from Best Supplement mostly to recognize the challenges and daring it takes to release a campaign setting (and supplements therefor).

Heck, in theory we could've also gotten rid of Best Monster/Adversary, or Best Adventure, too, since they could easily fall under Best Supplement, but it was decided to keep them around.

/me shrugs.

20 awards, including 1 yet-to-be-determined category (it'll depend upon what is submitted, and if they judges think an additional category is warranted), the Peer's Choice and Fan's Choice. All in all, I think we've got a comprehensive coverage of the aspects of game design and genres.

JoeGKushner said:
I guess then I'm confused as to why we have "11. Best Campaign Setting/Setting Supplement -This is an award for a book particular to a campaign setting. If under seven entries are received in this category, submissions will be considered for Best Writing, Best Rules, or Best Supplement as warranted."

What type of suppelemnt is going to be the best at one faction and still get best overal supplement as opposed to best rules?

is it because of art? Already a category. Is it because of layout? Already a category. Is it because of rules? Already a category. Seems redundant. "All the other stuff" as you say, already have awards or should fall under the "Best Game" as opposed to best supplement.

Just my 2 cents.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads