ENnies: should "Best Free Product" include Quick-starts?

darjr

I crit!
Thing is, there aren't enough of them in a given year to justify their own category. Less than 10 or so and the category gets dropped or combined with something else, so they'd likely get grouped into Free Product anyway or not evaluated at all.

Forgot about that.

That makes the collection of 'free' things make a lot of sense then. Though maybe something other than a yearly award could make sense. I dunno, sorry, I'm done capping.

Epidiah Ravachol

First Post
I prefer to think of the Best Free Product category as the place they've sequestered Trial & Terror from all the other ENnie nominees--for their own protection, of course. Cause it absolutely would tear up the place. I'm looking at you, Best Cartography and Podcast. And don't get me started on what it would do the Product of the Year nominees.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
While I can see the argument that free products could compete with non-free products of the same type, I think leaving them in a free product category is actually a good idea. It allows the ENnies to publicize good, nomination-worthy products in a category that the voters will have the best ability to actually research before we cast our votes. I can't afford to buy every other product nominated in most categories - but the free ones, I can and approach the voting with the best knowledge should I decide to put in the effort not the cash.

I propose that for free products, the community at large should be able to recommend their favourite, like they do for the people's choice. If it is still the case that the marketing material is in the nomination list then I can't complain but I don't think the current nomination process for right for free RPG products.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rob, but can't fans already submit the products for the publisher by the rules, and the product will be accepted as a submission as long as the publisher agrees to it?

Or do you want it that the judges are not involved in the process at all, that it becomes like the Fan's Choice for Best Publisher, where every submission is voted on by the public and no judging is done on the products?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I guess I'm weird, because I don't really see Quick Start Rules as a product (I see them as a marketing device to sell real products). But none of this upsets me.

:)

I guess I'm weird, because I don't really see Quick Start Rules as a product (I see them as a marketing device to sell real products). But none of this upsets me.

:)

See, I've played several quick-starts without owning or buying or anyone in the group in question owning or buying the actual game.

Yes it is a marketing device to sell more products, just like the D&D core books are a marketing device to sell more supplements and vice versa. But it is more than that.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The Ennies are about finding the best RPG stuff out there. The Best Free RPG Product category does not contain the best free products released this year. It contains those free products that were submitted. Therefore, the Ennies are going to fail to award the best free product. All the items are free but they are far from being the best free products this year.[/quote]Well then, these creative folks should have submitted their works of genius. [I]Or[/I], someone else should have prompted them to do so, or even (asked and) done so on their behalf. :) But that's certainly one way of putting a damper on the awards you've got going there, even be it unintentionally.

[quote]It should be no surprise that the world of Free RPGs is vastly different from the world of commercial ones, so should not be dealt with in the same way.[/quote]You did mention something about disagreement being likely? :D Yeah, I disagree. Not about the first part, but the second, yes - they should indeed be dealt with in exactly the same way: based on their merits.

[quote]They are not doing this for money but for the love of game ---snip---[/quote]Ah, the motive shared by perhaps *most* (or at least, [I]many[/I]) gamers involved in the production of RPGs. Money? Hah! You must be kidding. With only (maybe) two or three exceptions that come to mind, there are just so many better ways of making sure you're earning actual, real money. Y'know, in significant amounts. :)

[quote]You would like the games too, the best of the bunch are well written, laid out and have concepts you won't see in commercial games because risk is not a factor.[/quote]Again, disagree. And again, not with the first bit there. But many 'commercial games' (haha) have taken plenty of risks, and then again, making large amounts of money was perhaps never considered likely in the first place, in some cases. So, 'risks'? Pfft.

[quote]If it is still the case that the marketing material is in the nomination list then I can't complain but I don't think the current nomination process for right for free RPG products.[/quote]By 'can't complain' it sure sounds like you also mean 'but will anyway' :p. And, one last time, I disagree. :uhoh: The current nomination process is just fine. It's quite visible at several (perhaps even all?) major RPG forums, and even a few other popular sites for good measure. It's stated clearly, all over the place, how to get your stuff into the ENnies, what you need to do, other details, etc.

No, I've got nothing to do with the whole thing, and have never had a product (free or otherwise) in the race, but I do believe you had some facts wrong there, and some opinions that, well, I felt compelled to take issue with.

Hm, wonder if I can disagree some more. . . maybe if I sift through it again. . .

;)

Remove ads