• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Enough is Enough: WotC needs to add "domain spells" to *existing* sorcerer subclasses

Additional spell can help but won’t be a definying feature.
in fact sorcerer already has a definying feature with metamagic.
a Wizard think of what spell to use, a sorcerer should think about what metamagic use.
a solution would be to give more metamagic option as the sorcerer gain level.
another great feature would be to be able to use unselected metamagic by spending one more sorcerery point. maybe a level 5 or 6 feature.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
a solution would be to give more metamagic option as the sorcerer gain level.

I would love this as well. It's a huge bummer to wait for 7 levels to get a 3rd metamagic option.

I like the idea of using unselected at higher sorcery points.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think a good Metamagic Option could to allow the sorcerer to generate any spell, but at a high sorcery points cost. Like 2+Spell level, and spend the required spell slot.

NotAYakk

Legend
The point of bonus spells is that it gives the sorcerer a pile of thematic stuff that isn't super-optimal.

Having it be designer/DM call is way different than "hey, have another 5 spells known".

That is also why they should be from the sorcerer spell list barring a solid alternative reason.

The problem that should have been spotted before 5E was published is that sorcerer's need "domain spells" to enhance their flavor, not because their spell list is small. In my campaign there's a shadow sorcerer who is effective...but she doesn't feel very "shadowy" because most of the shadow-themed spells are on the wizard's list. So, so aggravating.

Horwath

Legend
The problem that should have been spotted before 5E was published is that sorcerer's need "domain spells" to enhance their flavor, not because their spell list is small. In my campaign there's a shadow sorcerer who is effective...but she doesn't feel very "shadowy" because most of the shadow-themed spells are on the wizard's list. So, so aggravating.

I also find a little weird that wizard and sorcerer list is not one of the same.

maybe with few exception spells that could be directly tied to spellbooks/metamagics

GlassJaw

Hero
having spell points would probably mean that sorcerer would spend all point on small amount of highest level spells.

We have that somewhat already. It's the warlock class.

The spell point variant in the DMG limits spell slots of 6th level and higher to once per long rest. So problem solved. You trade upper spell level for power for versatility. It's a great balancing mechanism. Spell points make the sorcerer unique and relevant again alongside the warlock and wizard.

I might only limit the base spell level instead of spell slot, which would allow the sorcerer to cast lower level spells using higher-level spell slots.

An interesting variant rule would to allow the sorcerer to cast multiple higher-level spells but at a cost (like hit points for example).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads