• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Entangle = Plant Growth?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and
entwine about creatures in the area or those who enter the area,
holding them fast
It doesn't say anything about making plants grow. So my opinion is that you need plants of reasonable size and strength in order to have entangle be effective. Anywhere near trees would be fine, even over their roots. Next to, or in, bushes would be ok. But just standing on bare ground with just a few weeds nearby, or being on a short-cut lawn would not be enough. I certainly can't see a druid hauling a single potted plant down into a dungeon and then trying to use that to entangle a 40ft radius!

What to y'all think?

Moonglum

First Post
It's a magical plant, kind of like summoning a magical beast. There does not need to be any undergrowth for this spell to work. In CRPG's (Icewind Dale / Baldur's Gate / Neverwinter Nights) and my own campaign we have used this over stone floors.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I disagree with Moonglum.

I think that Entangle is arguably the best 1st level spell in the game. My experience from DMing a Druid that made prolific use of Entangle is that its only limitation is that it can't be used where there are no suitable plants.

Anywhere there were plenty of bushes or trees, I let it work as written. If there were only weeds and grass, I would still allow it, but with a lower Save DC and make the DC's for escaping easier. For areas without any living plant life, I wouldn't let it function at all. The spell contains language that suggests that the DM modify the effects based on the plants in the area of effect. If it summoned the plants for you, this language would not be necessary.

Actually, the requirement of trees and shrubs (or other plants) in the area of effect is one of the main limiting factors of this spell. The plants have to be able to impede movement, though even tall grass can do this. Without this limitation, it becomes waay too powerful. The computer game had to make concessions on this, but that is not how the spell reads. However, plant growth before an entangle can make a great combination for those well-manicured lawns and such.

Remove ads