• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Entangle Questions...

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
When do you make the save for being in the area? During the caster/manifesters turn or during your own? (it's not the primary save I'm inquiring about it's the subsequent saves in the following rounds)

See post #7 (by me) on this thread for an example.

Rav

edit: clarification

Last edited:

Tar-Edhel

First Post
Re: Entangle/Grease

Rav said:
When do you make the save for being in the area? During the caster/manifesters turn or during your own?

Rav

I would say as soon as you are in the spell's area. So everyone in the area should make a save as soon as the spell manifests and other saves will be made when needed (when a character enters the area for example).

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Entangle/Grease

Tar-Edhel said:

I would say as soon as you are in the spell's area. So everyone in the area should make a save as soon as the spell manifests and other saves will be made when needed (when a character enters the area for example).

I concur, that's how we do it. So, When the Bard casts grease at the giants feet the make a save then, and then they make a save during their turn as they try to get out of the grease area.

graydoom

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Entangle/Grease

Crothian said:
I concur, that's how we do it. So, When the Bard casts grease at the giants feet the make a save then, and then they make a save during their turn as they try to get out of the grease area.
That's the way we play it too.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Although I am inclined to agree, this creates a problem with entangle though. After you are finally free, you still can't move (full round action) more than 5 feet (with a 40 ft. radius while moving at half speed, this is bothersome). SO, you've finally got yourself free. end of turn. Reflex save. Most will fail - you have to get yourself un-stuck again.

Isn't this a bit too powerful?

Rav

Crothian

First Post
The save is rather low since it is a first round spell. And if you amke it , you move at half speed, which is enough to get you free in one round. You can still attack with missile weapons and spells, even if entangled, just not as easily.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Not quite. Druid is at init. 11, I am at init. 10.

Druid casts Entangle. I make my save.
My initiative. I roll a save again, and I fail. I spend the rest of the round breaking free. I am still stuck.
Druid does what ever.
My initiative. I spend the rest of the round breaking free. I am free, and move 5 feet.
Druid does whatever.
My initiative. I roll a save again, and I fail. I spend the rest of the round breaking free. I am stuck again.

ad nauseum. The DC is most likely 13, 14, or 15 at low levels. Anyway, what most bothers me is probably the full round action to break free... this means that if you break free, you basically must immediatly save again. There is a parallel if you save against the spell, then your turn comes up.

This is very counter intuitive, IMO.

Rav

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
We may be doing this wrong, but for any spell like this, here's how we've had it work:

Druid casts spell: Opponent makes saves.

Opponent's turn: no save necessary.

Opponent's next turn: if still in the AoE, opponent must make save.

Also, any opponent entering the AoE must immediately make a save.

This system doesn't screw the druid -- folks in the AoE are immediately entangled, with all the related disadvantages. It also doesn't screw the opponent: they aren't required to make two saves in order to be free of the effect.

Daniel

Guy Fullerton

First Post
Rav said:
After you are finally free, you still can't move (full round action) more than 5 feet
No. From the SRD: "She can break free and move half her normal speed by using a full-round action to make a Strength check or an Escape Artist check (DC 20)."

If you take the full round action and do break free, you can immediately move half your normal speed.

Isn't this a bit too powerful?
No, because you don't have to break free to be effective. You can still use ranged attacks (albeit at a penalty) and spells (after a concentration check) while entangled.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads