• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Entering square occupied by invisible creature

kreynolds

First Post
Tobold Hornblower said:
That's a reasonable House Rule, Kreynolds.

It's not a house rule. See page 130 of the PH.

Tobold Hornblower said:
...though it seems that while moving through a space occupied by an ally, you're likely to brush against him and feel him there.

This is a house rule. :)

Tobold Hornblower said:
Maybe force a reflex save on the invisible NPC to avoid contact with the Player passing through his square.

And this too.

Tobold Hornblower said:
I was hoping this had been covered, though.

It is indeed covered. The invisible creature can simply let the other creature pass through.

Tobold Hornblower said:
And what about the Player stopping in the same square as the invisible NPC? If I have to house rule that, I'd probably force the NPC to drop prone to avoid detection.

Stopping in the same square could get wierd, but I like your suggestion.

pvandyck

First Post
I can see you concern with the moving person noticing the invisble occupant as he moves through. It seems logical to me that the "avoiding" that the invisible person is doing involves movement, which should give the moving person some kind of listen check. With them being right on top of each other, there should be a circumstance bonus.

As to stopping in the same square, dunno about that one...

pvandyck

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LOL Damn, dude. You're on a roll today! :D

Ha... not directed at you :)

I just know how offended I get when someone calls my intepretation of the rules-as-written a "House Rule".

If I decide I don't like what the rules say and change it for my campaign, that's one thing. But if I follow the words as written on the page, and back my position up with quotes from The Books, and someone tells me "Well, that's fine as a house rule..."

Rrrr.

-Hyp.

Heh, Kreynolds, you quoted the "Friendly Creature" rules. Stretching that to apply to an unfreindly-trying-to-avoid would have been [booming voice]House Ruling[/booming voice].

But now that I'm home with my book, page 130 does have an "Unfriendly Creature Not an Obstacle" section that does apply.

pvandyck, your post wasn't there when I replied. Page 139 makes it clear that he can pass through OK. The Listen Check is a good suggestion.

Now, Rules wise, I'm at this point:

The Invisible NPC can allow the Player to pass through his square.

I might give the Player a Listen Check to detect the Invisible NPC as he passes by.

I might require a Balance Check of the Invisible NPC to avoid either being bumped or falling down and obviously making noise.

Good. Thanks all for helping.

Anybody else know of any rules for inadvertently attempting to occupy the same square as an invisible NPC?

kreynolds

First Post
Tobold Hornblower said:
Heh, Kreynolds, you quoted the "Friendly Creature" rules. Stretching that to apply to an unfreindly-trying-to-avoid would have been [booming voice]House Ruling[/booming voice].

No. I didn't stretch it. If the invisible creature simply allows another creature to pass through, it is "friendly". The term "friendly" simply means that the creature in the square will let you pass. "Unfriendly" means it won't let you pass without a fight.

Tobold Hornblower said:
But now that I'm home with my book, page 130 does have an "Unfriendly Creature Not an Obstacle" section that does apply.

Well, unless your invisible creature is "dead, unconscious, bound,
held, stunned, or just cowering", it doesn't apply.

Norfleet

First Post
kreynolds said:
Well, unless your invisible creature is "dead, unconscious, bound,
held, stunned, or just cowering", it doesn't apply.
I suppose intentional avoidance might qualify as cowering. Maybe the invisible creature is considered to therefore be intentionally cowering as a result? There's no rule saying that a creature must be afflicted by a status ailment to cower.

Remove ads