[ENWorld Book Club] Thoughts for next book selection?

nikolai

First Post
I thought I'd add a list of proposed selections. Though there isn't a single book that more than one person has vouched for, yet.

• The Club Dumas, by Arturo Perez-Reverte (nikolai)
  • The Princess Bride, by William Goldman (nikolai)
  • Death of the Necromancer, by Martha Wells (renbot)
  • On Writing, by Steven King (Mark)
  • Dead Souls, by Nikolai Gogol (Tinner)
  • Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut Jr (Acuminor)
  • Grunts, by Mary Gentle (diaglo)
  • The Crystal Cave, by Mary Stewart (diaglo)
  • The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley (diaglo)
  • War and Peace, by Tolstoy (diaglo)

Edited to contain all recommendations up to post #24.

There's also a long list at the first page on the old thread, which I'll just point you to.

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59667&page=1&pp=20

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
nikolai said:
I thought I'd add a list of proposed selections.

I've read not a one, I've not read a novel in awhile it seems also... So I think I jump in on this and see where it takes me.

I would suggest books but my choices would lean heavy to political thrillers, military techno thrillers, and of course historical fiction so it’s probably better to let someone else suggest books. :)

Acuminor

First Post
On second thought...

Seeing as how my first two replies don't sound like they fit your criteria to well, I thought I may suggest another. That being, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Though it may be considered controversial because it deals with religeon, but again it can create some very good and vehement discussion. In addition, my friend is devoutly religeous where I am not, and we managed to maintain civilry.

If I'm being a pain in the ass just tell me and I'll shut up.

--Count Michael III

spacemonkey

Official ENworld Space Monkey
Well, of the books listed by nikolai, I would prefer either of the first two, I think. The Club Dumas sounds interesting, and I have been meaning to read The Princess Bride for some time now, mostly to see how it differs/expands on the movie, which I am quite partial to.

While I would probably rise to the challenge of War and Peace, I'm not sure it would be the best choice for this particular endeavor.. ;)

I'm reading Lord Foul's Bane right now, actually - for a local reading group. We just started, but I now understand what everyone who I talked to prior to starting the book meant regarding certain aspects of it.. definitely a provoker, that one.

The other titles I know little to nothing about, but I'd probably give them a try if one of them were picked. That's what this whole book club thing is about, right :)

Remove ads