[ENWorld Book Club] Thoughts for next book selection?

Acuminor

First Post
My choices would be...

I'm extremely new to this and to the thread process as well, but it looks fun.

I'm an avid reader who enjoys sci-fi novels, so this topic caught my fancy.

That being said. I would suggest that you read Dune. If you haven't read it yet for the book club or on your own. It's slow to start then it blew me away. You say you want discussion, and i know this one will raise some questions. My friend and I would talk about it for hours. Two thumbs up.

Secondly, I would have to suggest Lord Foul's Bane. It's from like the 70's, but it's really good. I just finished reading it, and ran out to get the two sequals.

Lastly, I want to ask. Is there a way to join this club or what the hell do I do. I'm ignorant at this crap.

--Count Michael III

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Acuminor said:
Secondly, I would have to suggest Lord Foul's Bane. It's from like the 70's, but it's really good. I just finished reading it, and ran out to get the two sequals.

I think you'll find Lord Foul's Bane a more controversial choice than you expect. A substantial portion of the people who read it really don't enjoy the experience, myself included. It does, however, certainly generate a lot of discussion.
That said, sometimes controversial choices are the best ones because of the strong opinions they generate (as long as we all can keep cool about it). But I think the proposed idea of this group is to suggest stuff you think most people will like rather than push people's boundaries.

Acuminor said:
Lastly, I want to ask. Is there a way to join this club or what the hell do I do. I'm ignorant at this crap.

Follow the bookclub threads. Then get a copy of the book nominated and read it, then participate in the discussion. There is no actual "joining" involved.

Duncan

JoeBlank

Explorer
In other words, Acuminor, you just joined.

We are like the hivemind, if you post in our threads then you are one of use. Welcome.

nikolai

First Post
Acuminor said:

The (vigorous) discussion of Donaldson the other posters mentioned is in this thread, though you may have to wade through a lot to get to it.

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97056

One of the rules (guidelines?) of book selection is not to go for (try not to go for?) books in series. The idea is to go for a self contained book, so that loose threads aren't left hanging. Of course, some first books of a series do tell a complete story, so this isn't a strike against all of them. And some "series", can be thought of long books sliced into sections, like the Lord of the Rings.

That said Lord Foul's Bane & Dune are two high profile sf books I've never read (or read much of in the first instance). I've been meaning to read them both at some point. If only because of their repuatation.

Tinner

First Post
What are the criteria for choosing a book?

Are we actually looking for "literature"?
If so, then I'd plug a vote for Nikolai Gogol's "Dead Souls"
If you're unfamiliar with it, Amazon has a decent review here
If we can be a little less stringent with our choices then I'm torn. My comedy brain wants any of the Discworld books by Pratchett, while the pulpy cheesy part of me would reccomend "Those Who Hunt the Night" by Barbara Hambley. You can find a review here.
Glad I followed this thread. I'm always looking for new reading reccomendations, and love pushing my favorites on others.

nikolai

First Post
Tinner said:
What are the criteria for choosing a book?

There are no real criteria, and the selector essentially gets to inflict their choice upon everyone else by diktat (and gets to name the next selector). Adapting from the book group thread, these are things to aim for:

• Book must be in print (check to see if Amazon has it available).
  • Should be something that you would expect a majority of participants would enjoy reading.
  • Should be something that will engender thoughtful discussion.
  • Shouldn't be anything that would make Eric's (or Morrus') Grandma's eyes pop out.
  • [Suggestion] The book should be available in paperback, to limit costs. (Presumably available as a free e-book is even better).

The idea is to choose a book which: (1) is widely and easily available, (2) which will ideally catch lots of people's eyes as something they'd like to read, and, (3) which should give people a lot to talk about once they've read it.

Last edited:

Remove ads