Enworld Short Story Smackdown (aka Ceramic DM) - sign-up thread

Hellefire

First Post
OK, its that time again. Rising like a ghost, I will try to hound writers and judges into spending time they dont have. How's the scene been since last I was here. Any interest in a renewal?

My wife is on the last few chapters of her masters thesis, to be defended in 2 weeks, her graduation July 1st, and my teaching work ends a few days before that, so my free time is about to catapult into unknown territory. So, hopefully I can actually come say hi more than once a year now :)

Aaron

p.s. hi to everyone I havent talked to in forever

edit: Going to keep track of interest here, and if there is enough will let someone more experienced with starting such threads do so for the official contest. Will need 3 judges and 8-32 contestants, prefereably with an alt judge and a couple alt contestants lined up in case somebody has to drop out later.

judges:
Rodrigo Instalindir (verified)
Herremann the Wise (verified)
maxfieldjadenfox (verified)

alt judge:
Berandor (verified)

writers:
Hellefire (verified)
EP
yangnome (verified)
awayfarer (verified)
FickleGM (verified)
Toras (verified)
Cevalic (verified)
tadk (verified)
questing gm (verified)
freeXenox (verified)
Trench (verified)

alt writers:
Dog Moon (verified)

Almost ready...

EP and Avatar V - still need verification please

questing gm - still need to know if you want to write or be considered an alt writer

Dog Moon - putting you on alt list. If either of EP or Avatar V can't make it, or if questing gm would rather be an alt, or if someone has to drop out, you're in.

Regarding schedule, in my experience it takes about 2-3 weeks to get started (with sign-ups, organization and admin/finding pics stuff), then the contest itself takes roughly 3-5 weeks depending on schedules. So, ignoring the ever-existing possibility that I am gravely mistaken, this CDM would start in the first week or two of July and run until the end of July/beginning of August, give or take a week or so on each side. Anybody with more experience in this matter feel free to correct me.

Regarding the name (Enworld Short Story Smackdown vs. Ceramic DM) I have always envisioned it as a competition of original, creative fiction. I mean that, while it has been comprised of short stories, I like to think that other written forms of imaginative creation should be acceptable as well. To let out something I've been saving for - a few years now, I have always planned to try another format just to see how it worked, after I won a match. For anyone who hasn't followed the last three years of CDMs (and the ones I was in, in particular) I have lost in the first round three times, all in (I think) fairly close 2-1 votes. Anyway, I digress. Besides nostalgias sake, I don't mind the new name. But I would like to emphasize that format isn't restricted to short story (at least in my mind). Again, please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken in this, or if the majority feel otherwise.

Last edited:

EP

First Post
Hellefire said:
OK, its that time again. Rising like a ghost, I will try to hound writers and judges into spending time they dont have. How's the scene been since last I was here. Any interest in a renewal?

Is this the one where you write a short story or a short adventure?

Either way, I'm in for writing first or judging second.

EP said:
Is this the one where you write a short story or a short adventure?

Either way, I'm in for writing first or judging second.

Short stories, using cruel and tormenting pictures as illustrations. Here's a link to the last one, and another to the FAQ.

I'm going to sit this one out, I think. I'm still not recovered from the last one. If you find yourself short on judges, though, I might be up for that.

Oh, and I think the consensus last time was to change the name to something more indicitive of what the game was about. Maybe at least editing the thread title to 'Ceramic DM Story Writing Contest' or something might get more attention.

If anyone wants trash-talking pointers, though, feel free to ask!

Last edited:

questing gm

First Post
After my poorly managed resulting in a first round defeat....I want to redeem myself !

I'm jumping into the ceramic pot as a writer since i could use the practice. But i need to know what is the schedule first since I'm going to be in the middle of a busy semester break. :heh:

NiTessine

Explorer
I'd love to participate, but my summer is a minefield of deadlines for other writing projects, some of which I am, strangely enough, getting paid for. No time for the breakneck pace of Ceramic DM, I'm afraid. Looks like I'll be following from the sidelines.

(My book on roleplaying games is almost finished and will be hopefully released at Ropecon in the summer! YAY!)

Hello Everyone,

Last Ceramic DM's quality was certainly a high water mark for quite a long time in my opinion. I think I'll have to hand over the scythe this time around though in terms of judging. I have way too much work going on and a 6-month old baby who sucks time better than a... a ah... well you get the idea.

If you are short of competitors, I might throw my hat in the ring to give all the people I dissed last time a fat juicy target of ridicule. I'd have to say though, it looks like the sideline for me this time - but I'll be vocal on that sideline, along with all the others too scared to write. ;)

Rodrigo, I'd like to see you in the judges chair if you can't compete. You can take all your angst from last time out on the competitors. You know, along with all the other crap you are having to fit into your therapy schedule. :D

Let the smack talk for the "EN World Short Story Smackdown" begin I say!

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

PS: Hellefire, perhaps you could edit the thread title to reflect yangnome's suggestion. I'm pretty sure that was the concensus at the end of the last one.

PSS: If Halivar is out there, please enter this time. I reckon the other judges had been smoking something when they didn't give you the win. Actually, that was one thing that really stuck in memory for me in regard's to last competition. So yeah... I want to read more of your stuff. It was Class A.

Hellefire

First Post
Ulric, and other newcomers to CDM -

See the links in Rodrigo's post. The FAQ is pretty clear about the event, and if you have any questions feel free to post here.

Aaron

Remove ads