• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENWorld, what is best in d20 modern?

malladin

Explorer
Wow, lots of votes for Etherscope, despite it not technically a D20M game (although it is so damn close you might not realise :) )

So, I'll leave other people to plug Etherscope and I'll put together two lists, one for Modern games and another for science fiction - I'm treating these lists as a buyer's guide, so it depends what you want to use D20M for.

Modern list:
1. Menace Manual (chock full of encounters for so many different styles of game)
2. Modern Heroes: Martial Avengers (my product, a character stuff book, but more than just classes and feats)
3. Modern Player's Companion (covers more ground than Martial Avengers, but IM-naturally biased-O, without the style :) )
4. 22 Talent Trees/Another 22 Talent trees (so much coolness for your character for so little $)
5. Blood and Fists (if you like martial arts, this is the book for you, if you don't, there's plenty of bits to pick off here and there).

Sci-Fi List (I'll take D20 Future as a given for this list)
1. e-future tiles (great for mapping out your star ship, although a bit of a fudge on the list as they're generic, not D20M, but well worth buying if you're planning on running a space campaign).
2. Future soldier's battlefield handbook (again, a little biased given out relationship with steampower)
3. Psychic's hanbook
4. Future tech
5. Sidewinder (because I love Sci-Fi western genre combos).

Ben

FraserRonald

Explorer
kingpaul said:
Talent Trees Assembled - Sword's Edge Publishing
Committed Hero said:
Covert Forces packs real-world info and useful rules in one file.
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
2) Khorforjan Gambit. Very cool military adventure.

Wow, thanks guys. Very happy to see SEP made it to the thread.

For myself, I think I would have to go with:

1) Ultramodern Firearms
2) Modern Player's Companion
3) Blood & Guts 2
4) d20 Future
5) d20 Afghanistan (not really Modern but definitely usable in a modern game)

Lots of good Modern stuff out there, and great stuff mentioned in this thread!

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
I do not have five like most do, but I am really fond of Dawning Star.

I own the most of the core rulebooks, Modern, Future, Cybertech, Futuretech and a few other assorted 3rd party games that looked cheap and interesting.

I would not classify those as "best of" since they are all just neccesities to run a proper game.

You all are getting me curious about sidewinder.

Last edited:

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
I actually hadn't used D20 Modern until recently gettign a copy of Sidewinder: Recoiled.

I love the game. I had the original and thought it was good. This one is even better. It really is put together very well.

If anyone else is playing and has a web site for their campaign I would love to check out what other people are doing with this.

I was only a player before, and so I am new to the Judges side of the table when it comes to this game.

I know that I don't have any comparitive information to add, but I will just chip in with Sidewinder:Recoiled and add it to the list of those that already mentioned it, because I am enjoying it so much.

Last edited:

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
1. Blood & Guts, I use that thing extensively.
2. Modern Backdrops. I love that.
3. Ultramodern Firearms. Sees a lot of use.
4. Modern Player's Companion
5. This is the tough one, but I'd have to say Darwin's World 2. Lots of stuff for it, and it's gritty, mean, and feels right.

talien

Community Supporter
jaerdaph said:
This is really tough because there are so many great products for d20 Modern out there.

Let's see, in no particular order:

1. Thrilling Tales (Adamant Entertainment) - all of it
2. Blood and Spooks (RPGObjects)
Wow, thanks! Of the three Blood and... books I've done, that's the runt of the litter sales-wise, so I'm thrilled to see it on such an esteemed list! :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
talien said:
Wow, thanks! Of the three Blood and... books I've done, that's the runt of the litter sales-wise, so I'm thrilled to see it on such an esteemed list! :)

My pleasure :)

I think Blood and Spooks gets sold short when billed as an unofficial Ghostbusters RPG. It really is a crunch packed toolkit for all sorts of campaigns that include the incorporeal undead. It's actually a great resource for Victorian and Edwardian era d20 Modern horror games, for example, which is why I love it so much.

Here's a link to my comments at RPGNow:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=3685&reviews_id=10731&

And thank YOU for writing it. :)

Remove ads