• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENworlder: How long have you been gaming?

How long have you been a gamer?

• Since before Gygax or Arneson. I AM the Old Coot.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 25+ years

Votes: 191 50.3%
  • 20-24 years

Votes: 80 21.1%
  • 15-19 years

Votes: 48 12.6%
  • 10-14 years

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • 7-9 years

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4-6 years

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2-3 years

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 1 year or less

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I don't game. I just come here for the edition wars.

Votes: 2 0.5%

vic20

Fool
Joined a Wilderlands campaign setting game in 1979 that had been going for a while. The game was run by some folks that my mother knew. I was 8 years old, and had just finished my first reading of Lord of the Ring (minus that one chapter in book one that was basically people sitting in chairs and talking...).

My mother would have been 25 at the time, so that's probably roughly the age group. Some of them were part of a local juice co-op (Genesis Juice, Eugene, OR); otherwise I didn't know any of the "adults".

My best friend (age 9) also joined the group at the same time. I'll never forget the first time he rolled a d4 for his first-level Magic User hit points: it landed on its tip. Neither he or I had ever seen the die rolled, so we didn't know how to read it. Needless to say, the guy that was helping us make our characters immediately jumped up to go get the rest of the group from the other room where they were playing so they could witness. I've never seen a d4 land like that in 30 years since.

Last edited:

smdmcl

First Post
I started in 1981 and have played pretty consistently since then. That'll make it 28 years sometime in 2009 which makes me feel old.

sjmiller

Explorer
If you are talking RPGs, I started with my gift of the Traveller boxed set and Mercenary on Christmas 1979. So, what did I do this last Christmas? Same thing I did 29 years before: made characters with the new Traveller game. Of course, this time it was the playtest for Traveller 5, but still was a lot of fun and confusion!

DeusExMachina

First Post
Wow, I thought my 15 years was a long time (which is more than half my life, scary thought), but it seems there are some really old school gamers here.

Anyway, I started around 94/95 with Shadowrun, moved on to D&D 2nd edition 3 years later or so with some Warhammer miniature gaming in between...

Remove ads